Coronation Street newcomer Ryan Russell has said he is "truly sorry" after he was accused of sharing sexist messages on Twitter.
The former CBeebies presenter is due to join the soap in June as Michael Bailey but will now have to meet soap bosses over the alleged offensive posts.
He said in a statement: "First and foremost, I want to take ownership for my behaviour and apologise for some of the language that I've previously used on social media.
"I knew some of the words I'd used as a younger man hadn't been appropriate, therefore some time ago I took action and deleted any tweets that I felt used language that didn't reflect my values, outlook or principles. Unfortunately these historical tweets have resurfaced.
"I pride myself on being a respectful person who believes in equal rights for all, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, religion, class and sexuality.
"I'm embarrassed by some of my previous social media posts but hope to be able to use my platform to educate, inspire and engage others.
"As with anything in life, I believe that it's about self-reflection, education and growth. I'm truly sorry and believe that the tweets are not an accurate representation of the person that I am, or aspire to be."
A spokeswoman for Coronation Street said: "We will be investigating this matter further and meeting with Ryan when everyone returns from the Easter break on Tuesday."
The Baileys were announced as a new family in Coronation Street earlier this month.
They will be the first black family in the soap's history and are due to arrive on the cobbles in early June when they move into No 3, having bought the house from Norris Cole.