Cost of living payments latest as new Labour government takes charge

Coventry was ranked the best student city in the region and came within the top 4 for the UK.
-Credit: (Image: Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)

As the new Labour Government settles into power, questions are being raised about its strategy to bolster Britain's economy. Keir Starmer's party assumes control amidst the distribution of special cost of living payments to households.

Local councils have been disbursing funds from the Household Support Fund (HSF) over recent weeks. The change in government is not anticipated to affect the HSF or the ongoing payments.

The fund has seen millions allocated to councils nationwide after the Tories extended the emergency support until September during this year's Budget. This extension allows local authorities to continue utilising the available funds until September or until they are depleted.

Read more: Bikers take to streets of Coventry for ride-out tribute to Keaton Slater

Read more: Join the free CoventryLive WhatsApp community

Residents facing "financial hardship" can seek assistance from their local council, which may include financial payments. Some households could receive up to £550, although the amount varies by location, reports Birmingham Live.

For instance, Birmingham City Council is offering £200 grants to eligible individuals.

Proof of financial struggle may be required by applicants, and in certain situations, evidence of receiving benefits might also be necessary. Despite this, the Government has clarified that being on benefits is not a prerequisite for obtaining aid from the HSF.

The Government advises: "You may be able to get help with essential costs from your local council. This is sometimes known as 'the Household Support Fund'. This could help if you're struggling to afford things like: energy and water bill, food and essential items."

"Funding is aimed at anyone who's vulnerable or cannot pay for essentials. You do not have to be getting benefits to get help from your local council."

"If you get benefits, they will not be affected if you get a payment from a Household Support Fund scheme."

Get daily headlines and breaking news emailed to you - it’s FREE