Latest Costa Concordia News

Chickens of the Sea

Chickens of the Sea

Whatever happened to ‘women and children first’? The captains of the capsized South Korean ferry and the Costa Concordia have…

  • Captain of shipwrecked Concordia thought he hit 'a little rock'
    Captain of shipwrecked Concordia thought he hit 'a little rock' Mon, Apr 14, 2014

    The Italian cruise ship captain on trial for murder after the sinking of the Costa Concordia in early 2012 said on the night of the fateful accident that he believed he had hit only "a little rock", a court heard Monday. More »

  • Expert: shipwreck off Italy must be removed soon Mon, Apr 14, 2014

    ROME (AP) — An Italian official is pressing for the speedy removal of the shipwrecked cruise liner, the Costa Concordia, warning that the hulk may break up in winter storms. More »

  • Captain: Cruise ships may over-rely on electronics
    Captain: Cruise ships may over-rely on electronics Wed, Mar 26, 2014

    Cruise operators, like airline pilots, may be relying too heavily on electronics to navigate massive ships, losing the knowledge and ability needed to operate a vessel in the case of a power failure, an ... More »

  • Coast Guard begins unannounced cruise inspections Tue, Mar 25, 2014

    MIAMI (AP) — The Coast Guard has begun unannounced inspections of cruise ships at U.S. ports, targeting those with patterns of safety problems, officials told the National Transportation Safety Board at its first-ever forum on safety on board the vessels. More »

  • Carnival 2Q forecast falls short of estimates Tue, Mar 25, 2014

    Carnival swung to a loss in its first quarter, stung by losing bets on future prices for fuel. The cruise operator's adjusted results and revenue beat analysts' expectations, but it narrowed its full-year ... More »

  • Costa Concordia captain lashes out on shipwreck return
    Costa Concordia captain lashes out on shipwreck return Thu, Feb 27, 2014

    Italian captain Francesco Schettino lashed out at a media "frenzy" on Thursday after his first return to the Costa Concordia, saying people who accused him of abandoning the ship had not understood "a bloody thing". More »

  • Concordia's Captain Returns To Stricken Liner
    Concordia's Captain Returns To Stricken Liner Thu, Feb 27, 2014

    The Costa Concordia's captain has returned to the ship for the first time since it capsized killing 32 people. Francesco Schettino's visit was part of a court-ordered inspection in the ongoing trial against him for multiple counts of manslaughter and abandoning ship before all passengers had been evacuated. Wearing a leather jacket, mirrored sunglasses and a life jacket, he was mobbed by reporters as he arrived for a pre-visit meeting at a hotel on Giglio, a tiny island off the coast of Tuscany. More »

  • Two years after Concordia wreck, captain returns aboard
    Two years after Concordia wreck, captain returns aboard Thu, Feb 27, 2014

    By Silvia Ognibene GIGLIO, Italy (Reuters) - The captain of the Costa Concordia, Francesco Schettino, went back on board on Thursday for the first time since the huge cruise liner sank with the loss of 32 lives just over two years ago, accompanying experts investigating the capsize. The twisted wreck of the 290-metre-long ship, now stabilised after a complex salvage operation last year, sits propped up on underwater platforms just outside the port of Giglio, the island off the Tuscan coast where it capsized on January 13, 2012. Schettino, who faces multiple charges including manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship, went aboard the vessel with a expert team appointed by the court but was only present as a defendant and was taking no active part in the investigation. "I've given my technical contribution as captain, I've given precise details that will help the final investigation," he said but declined to answer questions. More »

  • Captain of shipwrecked cruise liner back on board
    Captain of shipwrecked cruise liner back on board Thu, Feb 27, 2014

    The disgraced former captain of a luxury cruise liner that capsized off an Italian island went back on board Thursday for the first time since the 2012 shipwreck that killed 32 people. The last time Francesco ... More »

  • Costa Concordia: 2012 Cruise Ship Disaster That Killed 32
    Costa Concordia: 2012 Cruise Ship Disaster That Killed 32 Thu, Feb 27, 2014

    Captain Francesco Schettino has been allowed back on board the Costa Concordia, more than two years after it ran aground off an Italian island. More »

  • Costa Concordia Captain Francesco Schettino: I Did Not abandon Ship
    Costa Concordia Captain Francesco Schettino: I Did Not abandon Ship Thu, Feb 27, 2014

    Captain Francesco Schettino went back on board the Costa Concordia for the first time since it ran aground off an Italian island two years ago and claimed he did not abandon ship as it was going down. Schettino was allowed to take part in a survey of the Costa Concordia by judges in the Tuscan city of Grosseto, where he is standing trial over the shipwreck. "It's necessary to preserve the dignity of those who are alive, to honour the dead, to ascertain the truth and to [defend] the reputation of all Italian captains," Schettino told Rai2 news television. More »

  • Costa Concordia captain boards ship wreck
    Costa Concordia captain boards ship wreck Thu, Feb 27, 2014

    The Italian captain who 'fell onto a lifeboat' as the Costa Concordia sank is summoned by court to visit the ship wreck. More »

  • Costa Concordia shipwreck captain returns to scene of tragedy
    Costa Concordia shipwreck captain returns to scene of tragedy Wed, Feb 26, 2014

    Residents of Italy's Giglio Island reacted with mixed emotions on Wednesday to the first return visit by captain Francesco Schettino since a tragedy in which 32 people on his Costa Concordia cruise ship perished. More »

  • Captain Schettino Weeps on Passing Costa Concordia Wreck
    Captain Schettino Weeps on Passing Costa Concordia Wreck Wed, Feb 26, 2014

    Francesco Schettino has made an emotional return to the Italian island where the cruise liner he captained ran aground two years ago with the deaths of 32 people on board. Schettino arrived at the island of Giglio, in Tuscany, after a court allowed him to go back on board the wreck of the Costa Concordia. The 53-year-old captain reportedly wept as the night-time ferry from Porto Santo Stefano to Giglio sailed past the wreckage of the Concordia before docking. "He is very emotional," Schettino's lawyer, Domenico Pepe, told La Nazione newspaper. More »

  • Concordia's disgraced captain OK'd to go aboard Tue, Feb 25, 2014

    ROME (AP) — An Italian court has agreed to let the captain of the Costa Concordia go aboard the shipwreck for the first time since it capsized two years ago as part of a new court-ordered search. More »

  • Costa Concordia Captain Francesco Schettino to go Back on Board
    Costa Concordia Captain Francesco Schettino to go Back on Board Tue, Feb 25, 2014

    Francesco Schettino, the captain of the cruise liner that ran aground off an Italian island two years ago, has been allowed to go back on board by a Tuscan court. Judges in the city of Grosseto agreed to a request by lawyers for Schettino, who demanded that he takes part in a survey of the Costa Concordia later this week. Meanwhile Grosseto prosecutors have opened a separate investigation into two employees of the Concordia's operator, Costa Crociere. Costa Concordia guardian Franco Porcellacchia and Captain Camillo Casella have been indicted for allegedly entering the ship after it was sealed by police. More »

  • Costa Concordia Trial: Captain Dithered while I Gave Abandon Ship Order, Says …
    Costa Concordia Trial: Captain Dithered while I Gave Abandon Ship Order, Says … Wed, Feb 12, 2014

    The first mate of the Costa Concordia cruise liner told an Italian court he gave the order to abandon ship before the vessel capsized because the captain would not take action. Roberto Bosio told judges in Grosseto, Tuscany, that Concordia officials pressured Schettino to raise the alarm after the liner crashed into a reef, but the captain told them to wait, as he was on the phone to the Costa Crociere crises unit. Outside the court, Schettino told journalists: "A captain delegates; More »

  • Titanic 'smaller than people think'
    Titanic 'smaller than people think' Tue, Feb 11, 2014

    Despite its popular image of vastness the Titanic was no bigger than a modern North Sea ferry, an expert in marine technology has said. More »

  • Diver killed while working on Costa Concordia wreckage in Italy, reports say … Sun, Feb 2, 2014

    ROME - A diver died Saturday while working on the shipwrecked Costa Concordia, apparently gashing his leg on an underwater metal sheet while preparing the wreck for removal, officials and news reports said. More »

  • Diver killed working on Concordia in Italy
    Diver killed working on Concordia in Italy Sun, Feb 2, 2014

    ROME (AP) — A diver died Saturday while working on the shipwrecked Costa Concordia, apparently gashing his leg on an underwater metal sheet while preparing the wreck for removal, officials and news reports said. More »

  • Costa Concordia Wreck Claims Life of Diver
    Costa Concordia Wreck Claims Life of Diver Sun, Feb 2, 2014

    A diver has died during the salvage operation to break up the Costa Concordia off Italy's west coast. The diver, named locally as Israel Franco Moreno, of La Coruna, Spain, apparently became trapped beneath a metal sheet that cut his leg. Moreno is the first diver to die as part of the salvage operation which began soon after the Concordia ran aground on the island of Giglio, claiming the lives of 32 passengers. Head of the civil protection agency Franco Gabrielli paid tribute to the dead diver and all those working on the wreck, saying they had worked "for two years without a break, in difficult conditions not without risks, to achieve the common goal of removing the Concordia from Giglio". More »

  • Diver Dies On Costa Concordia Salvage
    Diver Dies On Costa Concordia Salvage Sat, Feb 1, 2014

    A diver has died while working on the shipwrecked Costa Concordia after apparently gashing his leg on an underwater metal sheet. More »

  • Report: Diver killed working on Concordia in Italy Sat, Feb 1, 2014

    A diver has died while working on the shipwrecked Costa Concordia in Italy. The consortium of firms working to prepare the Concordia for removal says the Spanish diver died Saturday while working underwater ... More »

  • Diver dies during Costa Concordia salvage works
    Diver dies during Costa Concordia salvage works Sat, Feb 1, 2014

    A Spanish diver died on Saturday during work to salvage the Costa Concordia cruise liner, which capsized off the Italian island of Giglio two years ago, the company in charge of the salvage work said. The diver worked for the Spanish company UCS (Underwater Contractors Spain) and was involved in an underwater operation when the incident occurred, an official at Titan Micoperi said. More »

  • Sochi Winter Olympics Sites Seen From Space (Photos)
    Sochi Winter Olympics Sites Seen From Space (Photos) Wed, Jan 29, 2014

    Here's a view of the Olympics only the astronauts can get. New satellite imagery shows the sprawling sporting venues and slopes that will host the world's best athletes next week when the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia begin. The recent photos come from DigitalGlobe, a commercial company based in Colorado that provides high-resolution images of the planet. [2014 Sochi Winter Olympics and Space Travel (Photos)] DigitalGlobe's images from 2005 and 2007 show tracts of open space where the huge sporting complex now lies along the Sochi's Black Sea coast. More »

  • Costa lawyer: ship's captain didn't speak of dead Tue, Jan 28, 2014

    ROME (AP) — A lawyer for the owner of the cruise ship Costa Concordia has told an Italian court that the captain made no mention of those who perished in the shipwreck but instead boasted the day after that he had saved lives with his skill. More »

  • Captain 'refused chance' to return to sinking Concordia
    Captain 'refused chance' to return to sinking Concordia Mon, Jan 27, 2014

    An official coordinating the rescue from Italy's stricken cruise ship told a court Monday that the captain, accused of abandoning ship, refused twice to be taken back on board after making it safely to dry land. More »

  • Costa Concordia Captain Schettino Gives Condolences to Shipwreck Families
    Costa Concordia Captain Schettino Gives Condolences to Shipwreck Families Mon, Jan 13, 2014

    The captain of the cruise liner that ran aground off an Italian island two years ago has sent his condolences to the families of the victims of the shipwreck. A moment of silence was observed at the trial against Captain Francesco Schettino of the Costa Concordia in memory of the 32 people killed when the ship capsized in January 2012. "I express my deepest condolences and renew my closeness to relatives of the victims," Schettino, who was not in court, said in a statement to Ansa news agency. Schettino, who is the sole defendant, faces up to 20 years in jail on charges of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship. More »

  • Costa Concordia Second Anniversary: Cruise Ship Disaster in Pictures
    Costa Concordia Second Anniversary: Cruise Ship Disaster in Pictures Mon, Jan 13, 2014

    Two years after the Costa Concordia cruise ship ran aground, the rusted wreck still lies of the coast of Giglio. Thirty massive tanks filled with air will lift the hulk of the Costa Concordia off the seabed in June so it can be towed away. Refloating the Concordia will be one more phase in the largest maritime salvage operation in history. More »

  • Photos of the Day: Golden Globes, Costa Concordia, No-Pants Subway Ride, Dakar …
  • Costa Concordia Could Be Towed To A British Port
    Costa Concordia Could Be Towed To A British Port Fri, Jan 10, 2014

    The team leading the Costa Concordia salvage operation has revealed they will begin removing the stricken cruise liner from near the Italian island of Giglio in June - before it is demolished later this year. Exactly where the wreck will be towed to and destroyed has not yet been decided, but some 12 ports are in contention including ABLE Seaton Port, south of Seaton Carew, among others in Italy, Norway, Turkey, France and the Netherlands. The British firm told Sky News: "ABLE UK Limited can confirm that it is in a tender process regarding the potential recycling of the Costa Concordia at its Teesside Environmental Reclamation and Recycling facility (TERRC) at Able Seaton Port in Hartlepool on the River Tees. More »

  • Italy cruise wreck to be re-floated by June
    Italy cruise wreck to be re-floated by June Sat, Dec 14, 2013

    The shipwrecked Costa Concordia cruise liner could be re-floated by June 2014, the engineer overseeing the long-delayed salvage operation off the Italian island of Giglio said on Saturday. More »

  • Costa Concordia: Many On Board As Captain Fled
    Costa Concordia: Many On Board As Captain Fled Mon, Dec 9, 2013

    Francesco Schettino, the captain of the doomed Costa Concordia, has come face to face in an Italian court with the tough-talking coastguard official who demanded he get back on board the cruise ship as he fled on a lifeboat. Commander Gregorio De Falco famously told Schettino to "get back on board, dammit," as the Costa Concordia slowly capsized off the Italian island of Giglio in January 2012 after Schettino steered the ship into rocks, costing 32 people their lives. Standing trial for manslaughter and abandoning ship, Mr Schettino looked down and shuffled papers on Monday as the recording of the conversation was played to the court. "I still ask myself today why he got off the ship," Mr De Falco told the trial in the Tuscan town of Grosetto. More »

  • Costa Concordia Worker Describes Panic
    Costa Concordia Worker Describes Panic Mon, Nov 25, 2013

    A Costa Concordia crew member broke down in tears as she told a court how she was ordered to tell passengers "everything was under control" after the packed luxury cruise ship was fatally damaged as it struck rocks. Deputy cabin services director, Jacqueline Abad Quine, was on duty the night the ship hit the reefs after its captain Francesco Schettino altered course to carry out a "sail-by salute" of an island. Mrs Quine said: "I was ordered to tell the passengers everything was under control. More than 4,000 passengers and crew - including 35 Britons - were onboard the Costa Concordia when it struck an underwater reef off the coast of the Italian island of Giglio just hours after setting sail on a seven-day Mediterranean cruise in January last year. More »

  • Costa Concordia Captain 'Delayed' Rescue Call
    Costa Concordia Captain 'Delayed' Rescue Call Mon, Nov 18, 2013

    A radio operator on board the Costa Concordia has told a court how captain Francesco Schettino delayed calling rescue services after the luxury liner struck rocks. Flavio Spadavecchia said he had "waited and waited" for Schettino to give the order so that he could alert coastguards of their situation but it never came, holding up the rescue operation. Prosecutors claim that by delaying the alert, valuable time was wasted in the disaster which cost 32 people their lives, after Schettino deliberately changed course in order to carry out a "sail-by salute" of the Italian island of Giglio. The seven-day Mediterranean cruise turned to tragedy just hours after the Costa Concordia, packed with more than 4,000 passengers and crew had left the port of Civitavecchia in January last year. More »