Council clearing 'hazardous waste' from traveller site

·2-min read
Travellers at Mansel Park in Millbrook, Southampton, last week.
Travellers at Mansel Park in Millbrook, Southampton, last week.

HAZARDOUS material and waste started to be cleared from a traveller site – just as caravans pitched up at another spot.

Southampton City Council said it is clearing waste at Mansel Park in Millbrook some 11 days after travellers first arrived.

A statement said: “Work is already underway by the Parks and Open Spaces Team to clear the site of rubbish and hazardous material.”

Travellers had arrived on June 16 at Mansel Park.

Officers are due to head to magistrates’ court tomorrow to evict the encampment.

“There are three caravans and three vehicles that remain,” a notice to residents said.

“Southampton City Council have applied to Southampton County Court for a hearing to be listed for the application of a warrant of eviction.

“The matter is listed for hearing on Tuesday 28 June 2022 in Southampton County Court.

“Please report any anti-social behaviour and/or criminality to the police.”

As reported, several caravans and cars were spotted at Southampton Common on Monday – with police who attended making an arrest.

Onlooker Louise Stretton told the Echo: “Some of the cars were driving around the walking paths quite quickly trying to get out but the police had blocked the exits.”

A 35-year-old man, of no fixed address, was arrested on suspicion of common assault and remains in police custody.

READ MORE: Man arrested as travellers arrive at Southampton Common

Police had been called to Southampton Common at 12.27pm following reports a man had been assaulted.

A spokesperson from Hampshire Constabulary said: “We are aware of an unauthorised encampment on Southampton Common which began this afternoon (June 27) and our officers have attended the site to assess the situation.

“We have been working closely with Southampton City Council to seek a suitable resolution and the encampment has now left the site.”

The council said it was working “closely with partners to conduct wellbeing and safety checks in the encampment and to safely resolve the situation”.

It added: “Advice to the community is being disseminated to report any criminality or anti-social behaviour to the police on 101.”

It’s not known if the group in Millbrook and at the Common are the same.

The council has an authorised site with residential pitches for travellers at Kanes Hill, Botley Road.

A message from the Editor

Thank you for reading this article - we appreciate your support in reading the Daily Echo.

Subscribing to the Echo means you have unrestricted access to the latest news, features and Saints coverage - all with an advertising-light website.

You will also have full access to Saintsplus, your new home for Southampton FC tactical analysis, features and much, much more.

Don't take my word for it - subscribe here to see for yourself.

Follow the latest breaking news in the Southampton area by joining our Facebook group - Southampton News - Breaking News and Incidents

Follow the latest court and crime news on our dedicated Facebook group - Hampshire Court and Crime News

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting