Court extends police detention of Andrew Tate and brother Tristan for another 30 days

Court extends police detention of Andrew Tate and brother Tristan for another 30 days

Controversial influencer Andrew Tate could be held in custody for another 30 days after a Romanian court extended his detention period.

Mr Tate, 36, and his brother Tristan, 34, both British-American dual citizens, have been in custody in Romania since a raid on 29 December when they were arrested on suspicion of human trafficking, rape and forming an organised crime group.

Two women who were detained alongside the brothers will now be held under house arrest. All four deny wrongdoing.

Prosecutors accuse Andrew Tate and associates of creating "an organised crime group with the purpose of recruiting, housing and exploiting women by forcing them to create pornographic content".

Mr Tate has used his online influence to complain about conditions in the Bucharest jail where he is being kept.

A message sent to followers last month read: "They are trying to break me. Thrown inside a cell without light. Cockroaches, lice, and bed bugs are my only friends at night."

In previous rulings, judges have said the Tate brothers posed a flight risk and their release could jeopardise the investigation.

Defence lawyer Eugen Vidineac told reporters the brothers would appeal an extension. His colleague, Ioan Gliga said prosecutors had not presented new evidence or added more charges.

"After two months of preventative arrest, it is unnatural for the case file to be in the same stage it was two months ago," he said.

Andrew Tate has described himself as the "king of toxic masculinity". He was removed from the British version of Big Brother after the release of a video that appeared to show him assaulting a woman.

He has amassed 4.8million followers on Twitter with his provocative messages and misogynistic views.

Tate, who is reported to have lived in Romania since 2017, has been banned from various social media platforms for expressing misogynistic views and hate speech. He was banned from Twitter in 2017 but was reinstated in November following Elon Musk’s takeover of the platform.