Craig Revel Horwood wants Love Island stars to join Strictly Come Dancing

Katie Rosseinsky
BBC/Ray Burmiston

Strictly Come Dancing judge Craig Revel Horwood has said that the BBC should recruit Love Island stars to take part in the dance competition.

Revel Horwood, 54, revealed that he “hopes” contestants from the ITV2 dating show will be invited to compete for the glitterball trophy, after YouTuber Joe Sugg proved a hit during last year’s series.

Sugg, who was the first vlogger to take part in Strictly, reached the final in 2018 with dance partner Dianne Buswell.

YouTube star Saffron Barker is among the contestants in this year’s series and has been partnered with professional AJ Pritchard, the brother of Love Island runner-up Curtis.

New generation: Saffron Barker is the second YouTuber to appear on the show (PA)

“I don’t know if Love Island stars will be on Strictly in the future, but I hope so,” Revel Horwood told The Sun.

“I think now that is the craze, YouTube and reality TV stars are coming to the forefront, I think you have to be prepared for that.

Colleagues: Revel Horwood with his fellow Strictly judges (PA)

“You have to keep it classy, you want to keep it social, and it is important to be inclusive - that’s my kind of thing.”

He added that he is “glad” that the BBC has started to recruit YouTubers for the show “because it is inclusive.”

“These people have millions and millions of followers, and it is a brilliant thing to invite them into the Strictly bubble,” he added.

The 15 celebrities and their partners will take to the Strictly dancefloor to perform their first routines during a live show on Saturday evening.

Revel Horwood will be joined on the judging panel by Bruno Tonioli, head judge Shirley Ballas and new addition Motsi Mabuse, who has replaced Darcey Bussell following her departure earlier this year.

Strictly Come Dancing continues at 7pm on Saturday September 18 on BBC One.

Read more

Strictly Come Dancing reveals week one song and dance choices

Rylan Clark-Neal phoned Zoe Ball before accepting It Takes Two job

Anton Du Beke is glad his Strictly partner is ‘younger than usual’