Cricket Australia won't act after investigation into Moeen Ali 'Osama' claim

Will Macpherson
Case closed: Moeen book claim is dismissed due to lack of new evidence: PA

Cricket Australia's investigation into Moeen Ali’s allegation that an Australia player racially vilified him during the 2015 Ashes has been completed — just nine days after it was opened.

Moeen claimed in his new autobiography, “Moeen”, that an unnamed Australian player had called him “Osama” during the 2015 Ashes Test at Cardiff, and that Australia coach Darren Lehmann had been alerted to it by the England coach Trevor Bayliss.

With the player in question claiming, when questioned, that he had said “part-timer” rather than “Osama”, Moeen had chosen not to take further action at the time.

It is believed “Osama” was interpreted at the time as a reference to Osama bin Laden, the former leader of the terrorist network Al-Qaeda, who was killed by US forces in 2011.

When the claim first became public on September 15, CA immediately launched an investigation into the allegations, but no further action will be taken because no further evidence was forthcoming following interviews with players on the tour, coaches and management, as well as after contacting the ECB.

“We have followed up with the ECB and our team management and confirmed that the incident was investigated at the time, with a response provided to Moeen,” a CA spokesman said.

“Moeen elected not to progress the matter any further and we have not been able to ascertain any new additional evidence through our enquiries. As such, the matter is considered closed.

“We take a zero-tolerance approach to remarks of this nature. They have no place in our sport or in society, and any allegations raised with us are treated seriously and respectfully.

“Representatives of our country are expected to uphold a high standard of behaviours and values, and they are fully aware of the consequences should they fail to do this.”