The case against a cricketer accused of raping a sleeping woman collapsed on Friday afternoon after a jury failed to reach a verdict.
Suspended Worcestershire all-rounder Alex Hepburn denies raping the woman in April 2017, claiming they had consensual sex in which she "actively engaged" after opening her eyes and kissing him.
The Crown claims the 23-year-old began to rape the woman while she was asleep in his best friend's bed after he became "fired up" by a competition to sleep with the most women.
But on Friday afternoon, the judge in the trial discharged the jury having previously offered them a chance to reach a majority decision of 10 to two.
The Crown Prosecution Service now has two weeks to decide whether or not to pursue a retrial.
In her evidence to the court on Tuesday, the woman, who cannot be identified, told the court she was initially asleep during the alleged attack and then wrongly assumed Hepburn was his then team-mate Joe Clarke.
The woman, who had earlier had consensual sex with England Lions batsman Mr Clarke at the cricketers' flat, was horrified when she realised she was in bed with Hepburn, the jury heard.
Addressing jurors at Worcester Crown Court from the witness box on Wednesday, Hepburn, 23, broke down three times as he insisted the woman had "interacted" with him in a normal way.
Giving evidence on Tuesday, Mr Clarke, who now plays for Nottinghamshire, claimed the woman contacted him about four months after the incident and told him she wanted to drop the case.
Answering questions from defence counsel Michelle Heeley QC, Mr Clarke said the woman had sought him out in August or September 2017 and seemed eager to speak with him.
"I told her I didn't want to speak to her," he said.
"She said that she didn't want any of this to happen, to which I said 'If you didn't want any of this to happen, it wouldn't still be going on'.
"She said 'I wanted to drop it but they won't let me'."
Hepburn, of Portland Street, Worcester, told the city's Crown Court on Wednesday that he only saw the woman was in his team-mate's room after getting into bed beside her.
Prosecutors allege Hepburn was motivated by a sexual conquest "game" - after setting up a "stat chat" page on WhatsApp to keep a record of sex with women.
During his evidence, Hepburn - who was born in Western Australia and moved to England in 2013 to pursue his cricket career - fought back tears while being asked about the WhatsApp group.
He said he was "completely embarrassed" by comments he made on the chat group, describing it as immature chat between friends.
Before the jury retired to consider its verdicts on two counts of rape, Judge Jim Tindal said the panel would have "no deadlines" and should take its time discussing the case.
During his summing up, the judge said Hepburn had posted the rules of the game to the WhatsApp group five days before the alleged rape.
The game had been played during the previous season, the judge said, adding: "It was effectively a competition - and I regret to use this word but it seems to be accurate - to 'collect' as many sexual conquests as possible.
"It's about 'collecting' new girls - to them, 'freshies', as they put it."
The panel deliberated for more than nine hours before being discharged by Judge Jim Tindal following a five-day trial at Worcester Crown Court. Hepburn was bailed and a provisional retrial date was listed for April 8.
Hepburn - who was born in Western Australia and moved to England in 2013 to pursue his cricket career - was suspended by Worcester CCC in 2017.
It was a turbulent time for the Midlands club, which resulted in the sacking of then director of cricket Steve Rhodes.
Hepburn is understood to have confided in his coach about being arrested, but Rhodes delayed telling the board of directors, deciding instead to keep it between him and his player.
He was due to coach England Young Lions in the Under-19s Cricket World Cup, but was relinquished of his duties amid the fallout.
Rhodes, who played 11 Tests for England, is now the head coach of the Bangladesh national team.
It is unclear whether or not Hepburn - who is out of contract - will be re-instated by Worcester CCC.
In spite of the verdict, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) is likely to face calls to investigate cricketers' behaviour given it is the second high-profile case in the space of five months after Ben Stokes was cleared of affray.
The Telegraph has contacted Worcestershire CCC, who said they would be providing statement shortly.
The ECB said that given there was a possibility of a retrial, they would not be releasing a statement.