New Cross shooting: Shocking moment hooded thug opens fire on busy south London street

Patrick Grafton-Green

This is shocking moment a hooded thug opens fire on a busy south London street, causing members of the public to dive for cover.

CCTV footage shows the man, described by police as “extremely dangerous”, run into the road in New Cross, before firing the weapon at least six times and racing from the scene.

Two bystanders, taken completely by suprise, rush for cover during the shooting, which lasts a number of seconds.

DC Chris Lewis, of The Trident and Area Crime Command, said: "This male is extremely dangerous and needs to be identified.

CCTV appeal: Police are hunting this man after the shooting (Met Police)

“This incident occurred on a summer's evening when members of the public were simply going about their business.

“The firearm was discharged indiscriminately with at least one bullet ricocheting off the road.

“This could have so easily hit an innocent bystander and could have had devastating effects.”

The incident happened on Wednesday, August 24 at about 8.15pm in New Cross Road, near to the junction of Billington Road.

'Extremely dangerous': The man is seen running into the road before firing the gun a number of times (Met Police)

Emergency services rushed to the scene and found no one with injuries.

There was evidence that a firearm had been discharged at least six times, police said.

The suspect seen firing the gun has been described as a black male with a slim build.

He was seen wearing blue latex gloves, a 'Nike Air' hooded top with the hood up, dark knee-length shorts and dark trainers with white soles.

'Indiscriminate': The man races from the scene after the shooting (Met Police)

Detectives are unsure of his age but he was described as appearing young.

DC Lewis added: "Despite only being provided a general description of the man we're seeking to speak with, he was wearing distinctive blue latex gloves and this would have made him stand out.

“We are specifically appealing to anyone who would have seen an individual matching this description in the vicinity in the lead up to this incident to come forward."

A 15-year-old boy was arrested in December 2016 on suspicion of attempted murder. He currently remains on bail pending further enquires.

Any witnesses or anyone with any information is asked to call police on 101 or via Twitter @MetCC.

To give information anonymously contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or crimestoppers-uk.org.

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes