Cunard Queen Anne sends message to Liverpool as Pier Head crowd comes alive

Cunard's Queen Anne,sails from Liverpool
-Credit: (Image: Andrew Teebay Liverpool Echo)

Liverpool's Pier Head came alive as a firework spectacular signed off a day of celebrations to mark Cunard bringing its newest ship to the city.

Cunard, which was established in Liverpool in 1840, brought its new Queen Anne liner to Liverpool for its naming ceremony on Monday (June 3). The ceremony saw the traditional smashing of a bottle of Champagne against the ship, as well as a performance from legendary tenor Andrea Bocelli, which brought some of the crowd to tears.

During the ceremony, Cunard revealed the City of Liverpool as the godparent of Queen Anne, in recognition of the long-standing relationship between the city and the cruise line. On behalf of the city of Liverpool, the luxury cruise line selected five Liverpool 'icons' to represent the city and name Queen Anne officially.

READ MORE: Moment crowd sings Hey Jude at Queen Anne Pier Head celebrations

READ MORE: Moment champagne bottle smashes against the Queen Anne

They are Spice Girl Melanie C, broadcaster and community leader Ngunan Adamu, restaurant entrepreneur Natalie Haywood, Liverpool music and cultural legend Jayne Casey, and British Olympic heptathlete Katarina Johnson-Thompson.

Many of those in attendance stayed for the evening entertainment, which led to a party atmosphere at the waterfront. The city came out in force to enjoy the live music and wish Queen Anne on her way as she continues her voyage across the British Isles.

After performances from LIPA students, the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra played a series of Beatles songs, leading to a sing-along in the crowd. Liverpudlian Craig Charles then made his way to the stage and the orchestra complemented his funk and soul DJ set, inspiring lots of singing and dancing on the Pier Head.

The atmosphere was taken up another notch when Queen Anne returned from the cruise terminal to the Pier Head. People cheered and waved as she crept along the river, before settling right in front of the Three Graces for the finale.

She blared her horn to thousands in the crowd as Craig led the countdown to the huge firework display, which then illuminated the Merseyside sky for 15 minutes. The pyrotechnics were fired into the air from the Cunard Building and various other sites along the waterfront as people danced the evening away.

It was a night at the Pier Head that nobody in attendance will ever forget.

The Liverpool Daily Post newsletter delves into the biggest stories on Merseyside