Daniel Gee: CCTV shows wanted notorious gangster at train station after Teesside prison escape

Footage has been released showing the last sighting of a notorious gangster who escaped from a Teesside prison.

Cleveland Police has taken the lead in the search for infamous crook Daniel Gee who has fled from Kirklevington Prison on Monday, May 27. Gee, 44, was a key figure in an organised crime group that transformed the Grizedale estate in Liverpool into a round-the-clock drug trading zone.

In 2010, he received an indeterminate sentence for public protection after being caught plotting to purchase firearms and issuing death threats to a young individual who shot him during a dispute on New Year's Day in 2008. Gee was housed in Kirklevington Grange Category D open prison at the time of his escape.

The force has now released CCTV of Gee walking towards James Cook Train Station from the direction of James Cook University Hospital car park at 11.50am on Tuesday 28th May. It is believed that he boarded a train to Middlesbrough.

In the footage, he can be seen wearing a pale blue t-shirt, black Adidas tracksuit bottoms with white stripes down both legs and a beige hat. He was carrying a white JD bag.

“It is likely to have been carrying a black hoodie inside of the bag which he may have been wearing in earlier sightings,” a force spokesperson said. “When he boarded the train to Middlesbrough, he was wearing a blue hooded raincoat.”

Cleveland Police previously described Gee as white male, large build, around 6ft tall and bald. “He was last seen wearing a black jumper, black Adidas bottoms with a white stripe down each leg and black trainers,” the description continued. “He was carrying a yellow JD Sports bag. He is believed to have links to the North Yorkshire area including Whitby , Carlisle, St Helens and Merseyside.”

Gee, who along with his brother Darren led a violent gang controlling illegal business in north Liverpool, was imprisoned after he planned to arm himself following death threats made to 16 year old gunman Jamie Starkey. Gee was seriously injured after being shot by Starkey outside an Anfield pub in the early hours, with one bullet piercing his stomach and lung before exiting his back.

After the shooting, he was taken to hospital but refused treatment, despite being in severe pain and trauma following Starkey's "murderous and unprovoked" attack. In an October 2009 trial, Gee was found guilty of two counts of threats to kill and another two of blackmail.

The jury could not reach a consensus on the more serious charges of conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to possess firearms and ammunition. As his second trial was about to commence, Gee, formerly of Maryport Close, Everton, admitted the second charge. Prosecutor Ian Unsworth KC stated that Gee's thirst for revenge "knew no bounds".

A mugshot of Daniel Gee
A mugshot of Daniel Gee -Credit:Merseyside Police

In legal proceedings, Gee was given an indefinite prison term with a minimum of four years before his case could be reviewed by the parole board. This sentence was concurrent with the seven-and-a-half year sentence he was already serving for drugs offences.

Gee's barrister declared during trial that his client was "frankly terrified" at the prospect of an indeterminate sentence and had conspired to arm himself due to his fear of another run-in with the Starkey family. He posited that Gee had been marked because of his notorious family name and confided that his biggest dread was receiving an open-ended sentence because he worried he would never get out.

However, the then Recorder of Liverpool, Judge Henry Globe KC, rebutted: "I am in no doubt that the public must be protected from you in the future. I really do not know when it will be safe to release you."

Anyone who may have seen Daniel Gee or may know his current whereabouts is asked to call Cleveland Police on 101, quoting reference number 098852.