David Fuller: Nurse who had affair with morgue rapist says she is lucky to be alive

·3-min read

A nurse who had a two-year affair with morgue rapist David Fuller says she feels “very lucky” to be alive.

David Fuller admitted the murder of Wendy Knell and Caroline Pierce in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, in 1987 after the crimes went unsolved for three decades.

He filmed himself carrying out a spate of attacks on dead bodies at mortuaries inside the now closed Kent and Sussex Hospital and the Tunbridge Wells Hospital.

Fuller also pleaded guilty to 51 other offences, including 44 charges relating to 78 identified victims in mortuaries where he was working as an electrician.

The unnamed nurse told the Sunday Mirror that Fuller was a “perfect gentleman” who spoiled her with concert tickets and fancy cocktails.

She described the “ordinary, quiet man” as the “perfect gentleman” who would “never get angry”.

The pair began their affair in 1990 while Fuller was married.

The woman, who is now married, said: “To think I’m associated with someone who did something so terrible is awful. I’m very lucky he didn’t kill me.

“I was quite aware of the Bedsit Murders and I was very nervous about them. The murders were in my mind and a lot of young women’s minds.

“Little did I know I was actually dating the person responsible. In the back of my mind I do still think, ‘Why was I spared?’

“I was in the right criteria in that I lived in the roads near where the girls worked, I had a bedsit and I was in my 20s.”

She added that she “didn’t see a bad side to him at all”.

“There was nothing to lead me to believe he’s the person we’ve now found him out to be now.

“He never showed any perversion in bed. He was totally ordinary and normal. There was nothing at all. I still can’t believe that he could be capable and part of me still doesn’t want to believe it, but equally I want him to pay for what he’s done.

“I didn’t know anything about the mortuary offences until it came out in court. I was really shocked. The police said to me, ‘Be prepared for a nasty shock’, but I wasn’t expecting anything as horrific as this. I just thought it was going to be that there were other women like me, or multiple women that he was dating all at the same time. It’s been a traumatic time.”

The nurse said Fuller - who was an electrician at Kent & Sussex Hospital at the time - took her to the Folkestone Air Show for their first date. 

“He wasn’t the type of bloke to take me out for dinner or offer to take me anywhere particularly, but he was always pleasant and friendly. He would never get angry. It was hard to know what was going on in his head,” she said. 

“I knew he was unhappy with his wife. But our relationship ended because he didn’t want what I wanted and he didn’t want to be with me any more. I had to accept that he didn’t want me and he wanted someone else.

“I remember him saying to me that he had met another staff nurse and he was going to start seeing her.”

Detectives say they may reach a stage when they cannot identify all of Fuller’s victims.

One who has been identified was Azra Kemal, 24, who was abused by Fuller at Tunbridge Wells Hospital after she died following a fall from a bridge in July 2020.

Watch the latest videos from Yahoo UK News

Read More

Children of morgue rapist are ‘in total shock’

Lewis: Context of Troubles killings merits treating them differently

Wife of double murderer who abused corpses speaks out for first time

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting