- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
French football legend David Ginola has signed up to be in this year’s I’m A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here!, according to reports.
The former Newcastle, Tottenham and Aston Villa star is said to have gone into quarantine ahead of entering Gwrych Castle, near Abergele in North Wales, when the ITV show returns later this month.
It comes five years after the 54-year-old nearly died after suffering cardiac arrest during a charity football match and was saved by emergency heart surgery.
A TV insider told the Sun: “Signing up David is a real coup for the show, and he’s by far the biggest name going into the castle.”
The footballer was seen moving into a cottage in Anglesey, close to where I’m A Celebrity is filmed, to isolate as part of protocols put in place by ITV to make the show as safe as possible, the Sun reported.
The show’s signing is certain to delight hosts Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly who are big Newcastle United FC fans.
The footballer made 58 appearances for the club after signing from Paris St-Germain in 1995.
In 1997 he joined Spurs who he played for 100 times, scoring 13 goals. He moved to Aston Villa in 2000 and Everton in 2002 before retiring the same year.
After retiring the footballer went on to dabble in professional acting, wine making, endorsements and the French version of Strictly Come Dancing.
He married fashion model Coraline in 1991 and had two children, then after their marriage ended had a child with another model Maeva Denat.
I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! will return to screens at 9pm on Sunday November 21, ITV confirmed earlier on Friday.