A deadly brain-eating amoeba was discovered in the mains water supply of a Texas town.
Residents of Brazoria, Texas, and the surrounding area were banned from drinking or using tap water and only allowed to flush their toilets.
The amoeba, known as naegleria fowleri, prompted a health-warning from authorities on Friday which impacted 58,000 people.
Health experts say that the amoeba affects people when contaminated water enters the body through the nose.
It can travel to the brain and cause a condition known as amebic meningoencephalitis, a rare but highly lethal disease, according to the US Center for Disease Control.
Symptoms of the illness include headaches, vomiting, fever and becoming disoriented.
CORRECTION: At 10 PM Friday the Brazosport Water Authority was informed of potential Naegleria Fowleri in the water supply.— Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (@TCEQ) September 26, 2020
DO NOT USE ADVISORY: Lake Jackson, Freeport, Angleton, Brazoria, Richwood, Oyster Creek, Clute, Rosenberg, Dow Chemical, TDCJ Clemens & TDCJ Wayne Scott. https://t.co/CQB99XRhak
“The Brazosport Water Authority was informed by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality of a potential primary amebic meningoencephalitis in the water supply," said Brazosport Water Authority general manager Ronald Woodruff.
After testing, authorities on Saturday lifted the restriction for all locations except Lake Jackson, Texas, while they flushed the distribution system in that area.