'Deodorant bomb' stunt: Schoolboy left permanently blind in one eye as mother warns parents of 'craze'

A schoolboy has been left permanently blind in one eye after copying a "craze" by bursting a deodorant can with a sharp object.

The child's mother, Jennifer Keppie, has warned other parents of the 'deodorant bomb' stunt, which has left her son Jay with the life-changing injury.

She wrote on social media: "There is a 'craze' at the moment of making deodorant bombs, where kids are sticking sharp objects into deodorant cans and hitting them, hoping to release the gas and watch the can spin (or something to that effect).

"As kids we have all done things that were risky and dangerous without a second thought at the consequences if anything went wrong. Unfortunately for us, it went wrong.

"Jay and his friend were giving this a go and a deodorant can exploded."

Ms Keppie noted: "What was just a bit of fun, quickly turned to tragedy and even with four of the best ophthalmology consultants, the vision in one of Jay's eyes could not be saved.

"He has been left permanently blind in one eye."

The incident occurred at Ross High School in Tranent earlier this month.

East Lothian Council said the school has since spoken to all pupils about the dangers of aerosol cans and other risks to personal safety.

The mother stated that the situation had been "traumatic" for Jay, but he has been "absolutely amazing throughout his ordeal".

'Speak to your kids'

She said: "I just feel as a parent, I need to share this as I cannot watch another child or family go through what we have in the last few days."

Ms Keppie added: "His life changed in a complete second and I genuinely do not want another child to find themselves in the same situation, or worse.

"So please, speak to your kids. Let them know the dangers. I always thought you only ever hear about these things and it would never happen to us, but here we are."

An East Lothian Council spokesperson said: "Everyone at Ross High's thoughts are with the young person affected.

"The school has spoken to all year groups about the dangers of aerosol cans and other risks to personal safety.

"The headteacher remains in close contact with the family and support is being offered to anyone who needs it."