Derry McCann: Chilling CCTV of rapist stalking women before attacking victim hours before his own wedding

Chloe Chaplain

CCTV captured the horrifying moment a brutal rapist stalked women in East London before attacking a stranger in the early hours of his own wedding day.

Derry McCann beat and raped a woman in a savage and deeply disturbing attack just hours before he married his pregnant fiancée.

On Friday, as 28-year-old McCann, from Hackney, was sentenced to life in prison for his crimes

Police have released chilling footage of the moments before and after the attack, showing McCann loitering around Victoria Park hunting for victims.

Rapist: Derry McCann was convicted of an attack hours before his wedding (Metropolitan Police)

He appears to follow one woman, who got away from him, before turning his attention to his victim.

The court heard how, at about 11pm on January 12, the victim was walking home near Grove Road after an evening out with friends.

Kate Bex, prosecuting, said: "It was about midnight, just a little after, and the victim was walking a short distance home having been out to an art gallery, socialising with friends.

Chilling: Footage shows him pursuing another woman before attacking his victim (Met police)

"She was almost within sight of her own front door when she skirted round the side of the park on her usual route home.

"She avoided walking through the middle of it because that was too dangerous, she walked around the side, but unfortunately when near the exit of the park the defendant grabbed her arm and pulled her to one side.

"He began a sustained and systematic attack, accompanied by unusual conversation with the victim, best described as mind games in an attempt to control her.

Attacker: He was seen loitering around the entrance to the park (Met police)

"Asking the victim what she thought he was going to do to her before actually carrying out the acts."

The victim was subjected to a drawn out attack during which she was raped, beaten and humiliated.

When the ordeal was over, McCann took photos of his victim and said that she was lucky that he did not video it.

Derry McCann raped a stranger on his wedding day in an east London park (Google Street View)

He stole her mobile phone as he made off from the scene. Hours after the attack, he went on to get married to his pregnant partner.

The distressed victim reported the crimes and, after police created an e-fit of the suspect, McCann was arrested on January 19 and charged the same day.

The defendant pleaded guilty to three counts of rape, one count of assault by penetration and one count of robbery at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

His conviction comes a decade after a teenage McCann was jailed for carrying out a separate rape in a London park. He was handed a life sentence for the offence in 2006.

Honorary Recorder Martyn Zeidman told the rapist he had carried out a "terrible" crime and faced a "very, very long time" in prison

Detective Sergeant Stephen Porter from the Met's Sexual Offences, Exploitation and Child Abuse Command said: "This was a truly dreadful crime. McCann put his victim through a horrendous ordeal and her courage and bravery have been a stark contrast to McCann's cowardly and vicious attack. Thankfully her courage meant that the offender was swiftly arrested and brought to justice.

"I hope this will reassure those who suffer sexual violence that they will be supported and their crimes rigorously investigated.

"As for McCann, the long sentence imposed today is completely deserved. I am sure he set out that night to carry out a sexual assault; the public needs to be protected from such predators."

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes