District line delays: Commuters face hours of Tube delays after person falls ill at Whitechapel

Francesca Gillett
Delays: Commuters faced journeys of more than two hours on Monday morning: @SJNeve - Daily Mail

Commuters were hit with delays of more than two hours after part of the District line ground to a halt.

Tube services stopped running along most of the westbound line after a person fell ill on a train at Whitechapel leaving some passengers stranded on trains which were at a standstill.

Transport for London warned of severe delays from Upminster to Richmond and Ealing Broadway lasting for several hours on Monday morning.

One train was taken out of service at Whitechapel, but a technical fault with the doors as people were getting off left many passengers trapped inside the carriages for another 10 minutes.

Not in service: Passengers were locked inside the train. (@SJNeve - Daily Mail)

Luke Harper called the service “shambolic” after claiming he was forced to wait at Victoria station for a District line train for half an hour.

Fellow commuter Melanie Haslam, who was travelling from east London, said she could have flown abroad in the time it took her to get to work on Monday.

She said on Twitter: “Great start to the week.

Severe delays: A person fell ill on a train at Whitechapel on Monday morning. (@SJNeve - Daily Mail)

“The agony of it taking me 50 minutes to travel 6 stops on the District Line.”

She added later: “I have finally made it into work! It only took me 2 hours. I could have flown to Majorca in that time.”

Sophie Bland said on Twitter she travelled two stops from Hornchurch to Dagenham East in 30 minutes after boarding the Tube at 8.09am.

Several others complained of being held up on their way to work.

Michael Izzard said online: “It would be quicker getting to Mordor than to work today.”

The District Line Twitter account said there had been two incidents. Someone had been taken ill on a train and then the same train developed a fault.

TfL told the Standard they were sorry for the disruption.

At around 10am the District line spokesperson said the "earlier issue has now been resolved" but warned platforms may still be busy.