Doctor says it's fine to eat chocolate with 'strange spores' as they 'aren't insect eggs'

Chocolate bar with bite taken out of corner
-Credit: (Image: Getty Images)


A doctor has unveiled what those weird 'spores' you sometimes spot on old chocolate are - and it's not mould.

Chocolate is pretty much everyone's go-to present whether it's Christmas, Easter or a birthday. But if you don't scoff it down quick enough, you may end up with a stash that looks a bit less munch-worthy as time ticks on.

But now Dr Karan Rajan, who lectures at Sunderland University, has come out to say that tucking into your aged chocolate stash is totally fine - even if it's looking a bit funky. The NHS guru showed off what he meant by sharing a video of a mini Easter egg that looked a little strange inside.

Much like frogspawn, the texture comprised of countless mini circles a shade lighter than the rest of the caramel-coloured treat. Taking to Instagram, he said (@drkaranrajan): "If your chocolate looks like this, should you throw it away?

"...Chocolate that looks like this is very safe to eat, but it might have a slightly different taste and maybe slightly less delicious.", reports the Mirror.

Dr Rajan believes the chocolate phenomenon could be down to one of two things. First up, he pointed to something called 'sugar bloom', which happens when your chocolate gets a bit damp.

Even if minuscule, the water content will cause sugar to dissolve, before it recrystallises again when the moisture evaporates. This will encourage white grains to develop on the chocolate's surface, with texture never going back to the way it was before.

He elaborated: "Another possible explanation for this is fat bloom. This occurs when the cocoa butter in the chocolate - the fatty component - melts when exposed to higher temperatures. Eventually, when the chocolate cools down again, the fat will also recrystallise but again in a different form. So, this time you'll get a whitish layer on the chocolate surface."

Dr Rajan also highlighted that it's unlikely to be insect eggs as bugs tend to go for perishable items, like fruits and vegetables. He explained: "They are less likely to be attracted to things like chocolate which usually have preservatives added to them."

"...All chocolate, if left long enough, will probably develop fat or sugar bloom. So, my advice would be, when you get your chocolate eat it quickly for science of course."

The health guru's insights sparked a flurry of reactions on Instagram, with many still wary about munching on their aged choccies despite his words. One user declared: "Still going to bin it," while another added: "That picture setting off anyone else's trypophobia? ".

Another commenter shared their own experience: "I had peanut butter jar with white chocolate such cream spread I didn't even open it for long time then I finally opened and surface looked exactly like in this first video, I thought its mould, I wrote to company to ask if this is still safe to eat, and they explained to me everything just like this guy in video."

What do you think? Let us know in the comment section below