Tommy Lasorda died on Thursday night at age 93 after suffering a heart attack at his home in California.
Tommy Lasorda died on Thursday night at age 93 after suffering a heart attack at his home in California.
Bloc's ambassador to Britain says nobody advocates following Britain out of the EU
Meghan's lawyers have said papers got the words Harry told her at the altar on their wedding day wrong.
Israel has warned that the vaccine could drop to 33% effectiveness after the first dose, while the UK continues to wait weeks before providing the booster jab.
President-elect will be inaugurated at noon on Wednesday
The app is a key part of the £22bn NHS Test and Trace system, and is billed as 'the fastest way to see if you're at risk from coronavirus'.
He may be behind bars, but the Kremlin has not succeeded in silencing Alexei Navalny.
Talking can spread Covid as much as coughing, says research. Tiny aerosols of the virus emitted when speaking linger in air for longer than larger droplets from a cough
The “Palace Four” will reveal whether the Duchess of Sussex gave private information to the authors of Finding Freedom, indirectly or otherwise, they have confirmed. The four, who were among the Duchess’s closest and most senior aides, insisted they would remain “strictly neutral” and had no interest in helping either side in her legal action against the Mail on Sunday. In a letter lodged with the High Court on their behalf, Samantha Cohen, her former private secretary, Christian Jones, former deputy communications secretary, Jason Knauf, former Kensington Palace communications secretary and Sara Latham, former communications director, said they would also provide evidence about the creation of the letter Meghan sent to her father, as well as the draft, and whether she anticipated that it might be made public. Antony White QC, for Associated Newspapers, owner of the Mail on Sunday, said the group could clearly “shed light” on the issues at stake, noting that the case “cried out” for further investigation at trial. The Duchess is suing Associated for breach of privacy and copyright relating to the publication of five articles, three in the MailOnline and two in the Mail on Sunday, in February 2019. She has applied for summary judgment, a legal step that would negate the need for a trial.
Britain will "look carefully" at claims that the Pfizer vaccine fails to protect as well as expected following research into the first 200,000 people given the jab in Israel, Sir Patrick Vallance has said. The first real-world data showed the first dose led to a 33 per cent reduction in cases of coronavirus among people who were vaccinated between 14 and 21 days afterwards. But that figure is far lower than that predicted by the joint committee on vaccines and immunisation (JCVI), which suggested a single dose would prevent 89 per cent of recipients from getting Covid-19 symptoms. In a radio interview, Nachman Ash, Israel's vaccine tsar, said a single dose appeared "less effective than we had thought" and also lower than Pfizer had suggested, raising fears that giving only one dose will not be as protective as hoped.
Members of the Trump family signed off after four tumultuous years in the White House
Weather system expected to bring deluge to northern and central England
Frustrated GPs are being forced to cancel patients' Covid vaccination appointments thanks to lack of supply despite hundreds of thousands of doses lying unused, Nicola Sturgeon has been warned. Declaring the roll-out was going to plan, the First Minister said around 100,000 people per week were now being vaccinated in Scotland and all over-80s would be reached by the start of February. Between 15 and 20 per cent of Scots aged over 80 have been vaccinated so far, compared to more than half in England, but Ms Sturgeon said care homes had nearly been completed and the roll-out would now accelerate. But she was forced to deny her government is failing to distribute the vaccine to GPs quickly enough after it emerged only 284,582 doses out of Scotland's allocation of 717,000 had been administered. Challenged repeatedly to explain why GPs were running out when more than 400,000 doses were unused, she hit out at the UK Government for leaking the figure and accused it of having a "hissy fit" over her administration publishing confidential supply statistics last week. However, Dr Andrew Buist, who chairs the British Medical Association's Scottish GP committee, said family doctors were frustrated by the "bumpy" supply and they were being kept in the dark over why they had not received shipments. He said: "The workforce is there and that's why it's so incredibly frustrating when the patients want the vaccine, we're very keen to give it to our patients but we just don't have the vaccine in our fridge." Willie Rennie, the Scottish Liberal Democrat leader, said GPs in his Fife constituency had been forced to cancel vaccination appointments because they had not been provided with the necessary supply.
The Duke of Cambridge is set to lose a second key aide in a year. Christian Jones, who replaced Simon Case as William’s private secretary last March after he was poached by Prime Minister Boris Johnson, is leaving the royal household to join the private equity group Bridgepoint as a partner. The 31-year-old, who was previously William and Kate’s communications secretary, will head up corporate affairs for the £18 billion company. It is understood he will remain an advisor to the royal couple, whom he is credited with protecting from the fallout from “Megxit”, helping them to maintain a visible presence throughout the coronavirus crisis. A royal source said: “Whereas Simon was credited with making the Duke a statesman - Christian has really helped them to steer them through their public-facing role during the pandemic. He’s helped them to grow in confidence by gently pushing them out of their comfort zone.”
Israel’s coronavirus tsar has warned that the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine offers less protection than expected, as he blamed the country’s surge in Covid cases partly on the new British variant. Nachman Ash said many Israelis had caught Covid in between their first and second doses of the Pfizer vaccine, suggesting that the first jab is “less effective than we thought,” according to Army Radio. His remarks underline the importance of receiving a second vaccine dose, which according to recent studies is more than 90 per cent effective in protecting against coronavirus. Israel has already given the first of two jabs to nearly 30 per cent of the population and on Tuesday announced it would extend eligibility to those aged 40 and over. But Mr Ash is said to have warned at a cabinet meeting that a new strain of Covid originating in Britain was hampering efforts to tackle the pandemic, as it was responsible for nearly 40 per cent of new cases. It comes after two studies by Israeli healthcare providers found that the first dose of the vaccine reduced the risk of infection by between 30 and 60 per cent. And according to Israeli newspaper Haaretz, a survey by the health ministry found that around six per cent of 189,000 citizens who had received the first jab tested positive for Covid within two weeks. It also stated that 69 people from the sample had tested positive for coronavirus after receiving their second dose of the vaccine. Another study of a hundred people in Israel found that 98 per cent were protected from the disease once the second dose was administered. That research, carried out by the Sheba Medical Center, also said that a second dose of the Pfizer vaccine significantly refused the risk of spreading the virus to others.
Donald Trump leaves White House for final time - live updates Exclusive: Councils offer Covid jabs to staff before elderly Public against rush to reopen after lockdown, say ministers Allison Pearson: Tea with the new First Lady? It's the least you can do, Melania Coronavirus latest news: Surge in cases leave hospitals like 'warzones', warns Sir Patrick Vallance Subscribe to The Telegraph for a month-long free trial Brussels has rubbished Boris Johnson's claims that post-Brexit trade between Britain and Northern Ireland is going "smoothly". During today's PMQs, Mr Johnson acknowledged some disruption being caused by "complications over form-filling" and a drop in demand because restaurants are shut. But he told MPs that "the proof of the pudding" was in the fact that there was "more transit now taking place between Larne and Stranraer and Cairnryan than there is between Holyhead and Dublin because it's going so smoothly." However a senior EU diplomat has rubbished these claims. "It's clear that things are not running smoothly yet, but I don't think anybody expected them to run smoothly, because it's a big change," the source said. Daily reports from the border made it "quite clear" that neither side were prepared, although the official added: "It's quite clear, also, that the UK authorities were less prepared than the ones on the continent." "That adds up to there being friction at the borders and we always said that was going to be much more friction, because of the new situation," the diplomat said. Follow the latest updates below.
UK has ‘one of the worst coronavirus problems in the world at the moment’, warns scientist
Public against rush to reopen after lockdown, say ministers UK to 'look carefully' at claims vaccine efficacy has dropped to 33 per cent with one dose in Israel Exclusive: Free-for-all as councils offer jabs to staff before elderly The town where residents wonder if they'll ever get a vaccine Herd immunity 'needs at least 70 per cent of population to be protected from Covid' Subscribe to The Telegraph for a month-long free trial Several hospitals in the UK now resemble a "war zone" due to the influx of Covid-19 patients in the second wave of the virus, the Government's chief scientific adviser has warned. A more infectious variant of the virus has exacerbated the crisis in hospitals with health workers and bed occupancy stretched to breaking point. "When you go into a hospital, this is very, very bad at the moment with enormous pressure and in some cases it looks like a war zone in terms of the things that people are having to deal with," Sir Patrick Vallance told Sky News. A record 1,610 deaths were recorded on Tuesday, although overall case numbers have started to fall. Latest figures reveal that the total number of people given their first doses in Great Britain stands at nearly 4.5 million. However, Sir Vallance cautioned that vaccines are not doing enough "heavy lifting" at the moment and case rates need to drop further before the Government can think of easing restrictions. The Government has pledged that all those in the top priority groups, including the over-70s and frontline health and social care workers, will have received an offer to have had their first dose of the jab given to them by mid-February. Follow the latest updates below.
The UK is bracing itself as Storm Christoph continues to cause chaos across large parts of the country.Major incidents have already been declared in Greater Manchester and South Yorkshire amid amber and yellow weather warnings for the storm, which could also bring snow to northern areas.More than 120mm of rain has already fallen in parts of the country, with 123.4mm at Honister Pass in Cumbria in the 24 hours up to 6am on Wednesday.Nearby Seathwaite saw the second-highest total, with 107.2mm, and some isolated spots could see up to 200mm, the Met Office said.Almost the whole of England, Wales, and Northern Ireland are subject to yellow weather warnings for rain until midday on Thursday, with a more serious amber warning stretching from the East Midlands to the Lake District.The amber alert warns of the risk of flooding and deep floodwaters which could pose a risk to life, and there are further yellow warnings for snow and ice in Scotland.Met Office forecaster Grahame Madge described Christoph as “quite a slow-moving system” which is bringing “a variety of weather” to the UK.Fifty flood warnings have been issued across England, with 175 less severe flood alerts.
The US actor shared a picture of him taking a break from feeding his grandchild.
Border Force officers are to get powers to make migrants give their fingerprints in France to make it easier to deport them from the UK. On Tuesday, the Home Office laid regulations in Parliament that will give officers powers to use "reasonable force" to get fingerprints in Calais and Dunkirk if migrants caught trying get to Britain from the ports refuse to do so. Such biometric data is critical if migrants subsequently manage to reach Britain either hidden in lorries or by using small boats to cross the Channel. Immigration officials can use the fingerprints to prove that the migrants passed through "safe" countries, including France, before coming to the UK – which means those countries are then legally obliged to take them back. Under the agreements, migrants are expected to apply for asylum in the first safe country they enter, and those countries are required to consider their applications. The move will help border force officers to enforce new laws, introduced after the Brexit transition period, which make any asylum claim inadmissible if the migrant has travelled through a safe third country before arriving in Britain. Ministers are also banning migrants from making UK asylum claims at sea after Brexit under a new law that paves the way for border force vessels to intercept them and return them immediately to France. The law removes the current right of migrants to claim asylum when they are rescued at sea by Border Force or Navy vessels. The immigration minister Chris Philp said: "Today's move builds on steps we have already taken to reform the asylum system, to strengthen border controls and reduce illegal migration. "It builds on the inadmissibility rules laid before Parliament last month, with fingerprints collected by Border Force at the juxtaposed controls expected to form an important part of the evidence base in determining inadmissible cases. "These measures will help reduce the strain on asylum staff, allowing them to focus on processing genuine claims from those in need of help. This Government is fixing our broken asylum system to deliver a firmer and fairer system." A record 8,410 migrants were intercepted making the treacherous Channel crossing by small boat last year, more than four times the 1,850 who made the journey in 2019. Tougher measures to combat sea crossings have seen the numbers attempting to get into Britain in lorries increase. Priti Patel, the Home Secretary, is also preparing a Sovereign Borders Bill to reform asylum, including curbing "litigious" human rights claimants who seek to delay their deportation from Britain after their cases are refused. Under the proposed changes, judges will be expected to place more weight on asylum seekers' criminal records when considering their appeals against deportation. Currently, serious criminals including killers and rapists trump deportation orders in the courts by claiming their human rights will be infringed if they are sent back to their home countries. Ms Patel is also planning to tighten the appeals system for non-criminal claimants. They will have to lodge all their arguments at the beginning of a case so they cannot make a series of legal claims to delay deportation.