Dog rescued from flat fire as family left homeless
A dog and a lizard were rescued from a fire that has left a family of six homeless.
Firefighters were called to the blaze in High Street, Harwich, at about 3pm on Wednesday.
On arrival, crews reported that a flat above a row of businesses was 100pc smoke logged and the smoke alarms were going off.
Crews wore breathing apparatus and upon entry found the hob was on fire.
The dog, a lurcher, was rescued after it was found hiding under a bed by firefighters.
Firefighters believe the fire started when the hob was accidentally switched on and an item nearby caught alight.
Crew manager Norman Gooch from Dovercourt Fire Station said: “I’d like to praise the crews who continued to search for the animals inside the flat after hearing they could be in there.
"We found the dog hiding under the bed and crews gave it oxygen therapy while we waited for a vet.
"It was kept in overnight for observation and we’ve just found out that the dog has been reunited with its owner safe and sound.”