Double child killer Colin Pitchfork's parole hearing suffers last-minute delay

Mugshot of convicted child killer Colin Pitchfork
-Credit: (Image: PA/Daily Express)


A public parole hearing for double child killer Colin Pitchfork has suffered a last-minute delay. The mother of one of his victims has revealed her frustration at the setback.

Pitchfork raped and strangled 15-year-olds Lynda Mann and Dawn Ashworth in Enderby and Narborough in the 1980s and was jailed for life in 1988. His minimum prison term of 28 years has now passed, with a public hearing looking at his potential release set to be heard by the Parole Board from Monday (July 8).

However, that hearing has now been postponed amid a reported "very recent development" according to the Mirror. Exact details behind the move are unclear, but "fresh information" gained by the Parole Board is believed to be the reason.

READ MORE: Teen drink-driver who crashed into roundabout thought four pints wouldn't make him over the limit

The public parole hearing would have seen Pitchfork face-to-face with the families of his victims. Barbara Ashworth, the mother of Dawn Ashworth, revealed she was informed of the delay on Thursday and has been left upset at the news.

Speaking to the Mirror, she said: "I got told on Thursday but it was through a phone call that was breaking up. I don't know why it's been delayed. It's upsetting, it's not right and it's frustrating. I have had one thing after another and I haven't been in the best of health."

Pitchfork, who is now 64, was previously released by the Parole Board in 2021, but was back behind bars just two months later after breaching his release conditions. Pitchfork made a new attempt to regain his freedom last year, but failed with the board deciding to keep him in prison.

However, that decision was challenged and appealed by Pitchfork after it emerged the Parole Board confirmed it did not consider the opinion of the double child killer's prison offender manager when making its move. That led to them agreeing to the new hearing which was set to take place over three days from Monday.

The Parole Board has apologised for the last-minute delay to the process. A spokesperson said the move had been made to "ensure a comprehensive risk assessment can take place". A new date for the hearing will be announced in due course.

We are now bringing you the latest updates on WhatsApp first