Dover immigration centre petrol bomb suspect named as counter terrorism police lead investigation

Counter Terrorism Police are now leading the investigation into the death of a suspect after petrol bombs were thrown at the Border Force immigration centre in Dover.

The incident, which happened at around 11.20am on Sunday, saw devices thrown outside and into the premises by 66-year-old Andrew Leak from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, who arrived at the scene alone in a car.

Police say they believe the attack was fuelled by "some form of hate-filled grievance".

Mr Leak's car was found near the scene. He was dead inside. Two staff members from the centre sustained minor injuries.

Counter Terrorism Policing South East (CTPSE) said its detectives had been "working hard to establish the exact circumstances, including the motivation surrounding this incident" and had been following "a number of lines of enquiry".

A search was carried out at a property in the High Wycombe area and "a number of items of interest were recovered, including digital media devices," Thames Valley Police said, adding there was "currently nothing to suggest the man involved was working alongside anyone else".

Politics latest: 'People sleeping on camping mats' in migrant centre

Detective Chief Superintendent Olly Wright, head of CTPSE, said the attack on the centre had been a "traumatic incident for everyone involved, and the wider community".

'Despicable offence'

He added: "We understand that when counter terrorism policing become involved, it can be worrying for some people, but I would like to reassure people that there is nothing to suggest any ongoing wider threat at this time.

"What appears clear is that this despicable offence was targeted and likely to be driven by some form of hate-filled grievance, though this may not necessarily meet the threshold of terrorism.

"At this point, the incident itself has not been declared a terrorist incident, but this is being kept under review as the investigation progresses."

Read more:
'I would never demonise people': Minister rejects home secretary's 'invasion of migrants' claim

Asylum processing

Following the attack on Sunday, the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit was called to ensure there were no further threats.

The centre is where people arriving into Dover via small boats are taken for the first stage of their asylum processing.

A total of 700 people were moved to the Manston centre in Kent, around 20 miles away, for safety reasons.