Drivers in England warned over 'mandatory' permit they need to have

Drivers in England have been issued an urgent new warning over a mandatory permit they require if travelling to the European Union. More than 140 countries require motorists to have an International Driving Permit.

An IDP is recommended for more than 140 countries - impacting Brits heading to watch England and Scotland in the Euros in Germany this summer. While an IDP is generally not needed to drive in Germany, someone who holds a paper driving licence or a driving licence from the Isle of Man may need a 1968 IDP.

A spokesperson for Motor Match said: "Every driver should double-check their paperwork before heading overseas. A valid driving licence, car insurance details, and vehicle registration documents are needed at all times." Drivers could be slapped with fines too, with chargers potentially reaching as much as €750 or £638, with experts telling drivers that it's better to be overprepared.

READ MORE Six unanswered questions from Dr Michael Mosley death - from backpack to 'stumble'

They added: "As of April 1, 2024, the DVLA requires that anyone seeking an International Driving Permit must visit a participating PayPoint location, equipped with their full valid photo-card licence, a standard passport photograph, and possibly a valid passport if they have an older paper version licence.

"This new procedure is a departure from the past and underscores the need for drivers to be thoroughly prepared before heading to their PayPoint location." You need to have a valid Great Britain (GB) or Northern Ireland driving licence to get an IDP. You may also get an IDP if your licence was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man.

At a participating Post Office branch bring along your full valid photo-card licence, a passport standard photograph (see FAQs) and your valid passport as proof of identification if presenting an older paper version licence.

In Belgium, you don’t need an IDP to drive here for periods up to 6 months. If you have a paper driving licence, you may need a 1968 IDP. In Cyprus, you don’t need an IDP to drive here for visits up to 30 days. For visits longer than 30 days you’ll need a 1949 IDP.

If you hold a paper driving licence or a driving licence from Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man, you may need a 1949 IDP for any length of visit.