Drunk restaurant worker jailed for biting off 'really large chunk' of colleague's ear

A man who bit off his colleague's ear in a "savage" attack during a night out has been jailed for two years.

Chef Anil Jnagal was left permanently disfigured after medics were unable to reattach a large chunk of his ear following the attack in Birmingham's Broad Street by Connor Smith.

Birmingham Crown Court heard restaurant worker Smith, 19, was drunk and had been using cannabis before he assaulted his workmate, who had been trying to calm him down.

Smith worked alongside Mr Jnagal, 25, at a Harvester branch at Birmingham's Star City leisure complex, prosecutor Tariq Shakoor told the court.

Mr Shakoor said the attack was "savage" and continued: "Anil Jnagal had to apologise for this defendant's behaviour a number of times to other members of the public.

"The victim describes the defendant turning on him.

"The two of them then fell to the floor - with the defendant on top of Mr Jnagal. And without any warning the defendant is described as trying to fight Mr Jnagal, and during that he has bitten his ear off."

Jonathan Barker, defending, said Smith, of Erdington, Birmingham, who admitted wounding, was in an emotional state following the death of his aunt a month earlier.

Mr Barker told the court: "Nothing is going to bring the complainant's ear back or turn back time, but hopefully you will accept that the defendant is deeply remorseful and appalled by his behaviour."

Sentencing, Judge Richard Bond said local courts had to deal "day in and day out" with instances of violence on Broad Street.

Judge Bond told Smith: "All the victim did was to try and stop you being aggressive towards others.

"It ended up with you quite deliberately using your teeth as a weapon and you bit off a really large chunk. About half of his ear has completely disappeared.

"This is not something that happens in a millisecond - to bite through somebody's ear takes real determination and a real effort."

The court was told that due to the severity of the injury, reconstructive surgery on Mr Jnagal was unlikely to be successful.