Cape Town – The first pop-up channel of 2018 on MultiChoice's DStv satellite pay-TV platform will be the M-Net Movies Oscars pop up channel that will run from 1 to 28 February for DStv Premium subscribers.
The Oscars pop-up channel packaged by M-Net for DStv will run on DStv channel 109 and will show multiple Oscar-winning films leading up to the 90th Academy Awards taking place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood on Monday 5 March.
M-Net Movies will show 6 films every day on the channel from around 12:00 to just after midnight, with the film collection that include 115 Academy Award winning films, 757 Oscar nominations and 306 golden statuettes.
Films on the M-Net Movies Oscars pop up channel will range from classics like Gone with the Wind and the original 1959 Ben Hur to 2017's Best Picture winner Moonlight and last year's Best Animated Feature Zootropolis.
Films will feature big Oscar winners beloved by the Academy ranging from Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks to Denzel Washington, Cate Blanchett, Leonardo DiCaprio and South Africa's Charlize Theron.
On weekends the M-Net Movies Oscars channel will show films according to the following thematic categories:
• Saturday 3 February – Most Nominations and Most Wins
• Sunday 4 February – Most nominations, Most Wins and Best Animation films
• Saturday 10 February – Best Director
• Sunday 11 February – Best Supporting Actress
• Saturday 17 February – Best Supporting Actor
• Sunday 18 February – Best Actor
• Saturday 24 February – Best Actress
• Sunday 25 February – Best Picture
The 90th Academy Awards will broadcast live on M-Net Movies Premiere (DStv 104) at 03:30 on Monday 5 March and again on M-Net (DStv 101) 101 on the same day at 21:30, after which it will also be made available on DStv Catch Up.