Duke of Cambridge shares ‘concerns of fans’ over European Super League proposals

Tom Pilgrim, PA
·2-min read

The Duke of Cambridge has said he shares “the concerns of fans” over controversial proposals to form a breakaway football European Super League.

William, who is president of the Football Association (FA), tweeted his concern over the “damage” the plans risk causing to “the game we love” on Monday afternoon.

Writing on the official Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Twitter account, he said: “Now, more than ever, we must protect the entire football community – from the top level to the grassroots – and the values of competition and fairness at its core.

“I share the concerns of fans about the proposed Super League and the damage it risks causing to the game we love.”

William signed off the tweet with his initial “W”.

To view this content, you'll need to update your privacy settings.
Please click here to do so.

A total of six English clubs – Arsenal, Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham and Chelsea – have been named as founder members of the new proposed European competition, with the plans triggering outrage across the football community.

William’s intervention comes as the royal family continues to mourn the death of his grandfather the Duke of Edinburgh, whose funeral was held on Saturday.

Philip was himself president of the governing body of English football between 1955 and 1957.

William, who alongside his son George is a passionate Aston Villa fan, first took up the role in 2006.

The duke has previously been outspoken about racist abuse in football, condemning it as “despicable” and something that “must stop”.

He has also used his role at the FA to urge clubs to do more to remove the stigma around mental health issues.

William has helped champion the Heads Up mental health campaign, a partnership between the FA and the Cambridges’ Heads Together initiative.