The Duke of Edinburgh has travelled from Norfolk to the King Edward VII Hospital in London as a “precautionary measure”, Buckingham Palace has said.
The Palace confirmed Prince Philip, 98, had been residing at the Royal Family’s Sandringham estate, and left on Friday morning without Her Majesty.
The Queen herself was travelling to the royal residence by train and arrived at King’s Lynn station in Norfolk to mark the start of her annual Christmas break.
An announcement at around 2pm on Friday afternoon said he is attending hospital for observation and treatment in relation to a pre-existing condition.
In a statement, the Palace said: “The Duke of Edinburgh travelled from Norfolk this morning to the King Edward VII Hospital in London for observation and treatment in relation to a pre-existing condition.
“The admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’ Doctor.”
The Duke is expected to be in hospital for a few days and it has been confirmed that was not taken by ambulance, with his visit a previously planned admission.
Prince Philip has suffered a number of ailments over the years, with major operations including surgery for blocked coronary artery at Papworth Hospital in Cambridgeshire in December 2011.
He was also admitted for bladder infection in June 2012, which forced him to miss the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
The Queen arrived at Sandringham after leaving London on Friday.
She was pictured arriving at King’s Lynn station in Norfolk at 12.31pm, after catching the 10.42pm train from London King’s Cross.
The Duke and the Queen will be joined by other members of the Royal Family for the festive celebrations.
It is thought festivities will include the family’s traditional Christmas Day church service held at St Mary Magdalene Church.
Guests for Christmas include Prince Charles and Camilla, Prince William and Kate Middleton and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
As tradition, she remains the estate until early February to coincide with the anniversary of her father King George VI’s death on February 6, 1952.
Since 1952, The Duke of Edinburgh carried out thousands of appearances alongside Her Majesty.
But he stepped down from his public duties in August 2017 with the full support of the Queen.
The duke has not been seen in public since attending Lady Gabriella Windsor's royal wedding in May this year.