The DWP £737 payment you can get if you have these 26 conditions - but you must tell them these six things

Queen Street in Cardiff
-Credit: (Image: WalesOnline/Rob Browne)

People are being advised to check if they qualify for a support payment worth more than £700 a month. Around 3.3 million people in the UK claim personal independence payments (PIP) from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

The benefit is usually available to those who have a long-term illness or disability and the amount you get depends on how much extra help you need day to day. There are a number of very common conditions that qualify - however, you need to inform the DWP about certain circumstances.

Here is what you do - and don't - need to tell the DWP when claiming PIP and what conditions are eligible. To get the latest money stories straight to your inbox twice a week sign up to our newsletter here.

READ MORE: How everyone can get free £160 but you need to act fast

READ MORE: DWP to send millions of people important letters this month

What is PIP?

You might qualify for PIP if you have a long-term illness, mental health condition, or physical or learning disability. Eligibility for PIP is not based on National Insurance contributions and is not means-tested so even if you’re working, have savings, or are getting other benefits you can still get it.

It is made up of two components – a daily living rate and a mobility rate – and you can qualify for one or both at the same time. Within both these rates there is the standard rate and the enhanced rate. The benefit is tax-free and the amount you get is not affected by your income or savings.

How much PIP could I get?

As of April, 2024, the new PIP rates are as follows:

Daily living component

  • Enhanced: £108.55 (from £101.75)

  • Standard: £72.65 (from £68.10)

Mobility component

  • Enhanced: £75.75 (from £71.00)

  • Standard: £28.70 (from £26.90)

The new rates coming in mean that if you, for example, qualify for both the enhanced daily living and enhanced mobility components of the payments you will receive a total of £737.20 every four weeks. If you are eligible for both the standard daily living and standard mobility components you will get £405.40 every four weeks.

What conditions qualify for PIP?

There is a list of health conditions that could see you qualify for PIP including coeliac disease, bowel issues, Crohn's disease and constipation. These are as follows:

Diseases of the oesophagus, stomach and duodenum

  • Hiatus hernia / gastroesophageal reflux disease / reflux oesophagitis

  • Oesophageal varices

  • Oesophagus, stomach and duodenum - Other diseases of / type not known

  • Peptic ulcer (gastric and duodenal)/gastritis

Diseases of the small bowel

  • Coeliac disease

  • Small bowel - Other diseases of / type not known

Inflammatory bowel disease

  • Crohn’s disease

  • Ulcerative colitis

Diseases of the colon

  • Colon - Other diseases of / type not known

  • Constipation

  • Diverticular disease / diverticulitis

Diseases of the rectum and anus

  • Anorectal abscess

  • Fistula in anus

  • Haemorrhoids

  • Rectal prolapse

  • Rectum/anus - Other diseases of / type not known

  • Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)

  • Benign tumours of the gastrointestinal tract

  • Abdominal hernias

  • Hernia

Congenital disorders of the GI tract

  • Cleft lip

  • Cleft lip with cleft palate

  • Hirschprung Disease

  • Tracheo-oesophageal fistula/atresia

Other diseases of the gastrointestinal tract

  • Attention to artificial opening colostomy/ileostomy/ stoma - no underlying diagnosis

  • Gastrointestinal tract - Other diseases of / type not known

What do I have to tell the DWP?

According to the GOV.UK website you must contact the PIP enquiry line if:

  • Your personal details change - for example, your name, address or doctor

  • The help you need or your condition changes

  • Your condition has worsened and you’re not expected to live more than six months

  • You go into hospital or a care home

  • You go abroad (for more than four weeks)

  • You are imprisoned or held in detention

PIP is not a means-tested benefit meaning you can get it whether you are working or not, so there is no need to inform the DWP if you:

  • Start a new job

  • Stop claiming other benefits

  • Change roles at work - unless the amount of help you need has changed

  • Leave a job

  • Are made redundant

  • Take retirement