DWP announces major shift for Housing Benefit claimants to Universal Credit system

The DWP has confirmed the changes
-Credit: (Image: PA Wire/PA Images)

A big change is being introduced for thousands of households on Housing Benefit. It is being replaced by Universal Credit under the process known as 'managed migration', reports BirminghamLive.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will get in touch with those only claiming Housing Benefit in June, asking them to make the switch. In 2024/25, they will contact claimants of Tax Credits, Income Support and income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA).

Over 100,000 Housing benefit-only claimants will be contacted next month. The DWP aims to send migration notices to these households - around 440,000 in total - by September 2024 as the process is completed.

Read more: DWP names six benefits that are ending and issues three-month warning about Universal Credit

Read more: DWP issues 'check now' update as it unveils new support hub for work, health and money

If you're over State Pension age and live with your partner, you can make a new claim for Housing Benefit if both of you have reached the state pension age. The benefit is currently claimed by tens of thousands of UK households.

You can also apply if one of you has reached State Pension age and started claiming Pension Credit (for you as a couple) before May 15, 2019 and you're in supported, sheltered or temporary housing. Usually, you will not get housing benefit if your savings are over £16,000, unless you get guarantee credit of Pension Credit.

You will not qualify if you're paying a mortgage on your own home, you live in the home of a close relative, you live with your partner and they are already claiming housing benefit or if you've reached the state pension age but your live-in partner has not.

You can apply for housing benefit directly with your local council. You can contact your local authority for further guidance and advice on how to apply if you're eligible.