DWP details those who could get £500 payment this summer - full list

A person taking UK bank notes from an ATM machine
-Credit: (Image: Mirrorpix)

The Department for Work and Pensions [DWP] has shared details about who is eligible for the new round of summer cost of living payments. Thousands are set to benefit from financial aid between now and the end of September, thanks to a six-month extension of the Household Support Fund.

The amount each person can receive depends on how their local authority decides to use its allocation. The DWP is providing data and guidance to authorities to help them identify those in need within their communities.

Those who may be eligible include Universal Credit claimants with limited work capability or earnings below the thresholds for free school meals and prescriptions. It also includes recipients of the Guarantee Credit and/or Savings Credit elements of Pension Credit, those on income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), and individuals who only receive Housing Benefit, according to Birmingham Live.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has stressed that assistance is not solely for vulnerable households receiving benefits. It encourages local councils to use other sources of information to identify individuals who qualify for extra support.

This could include suggestions or referrals from professionals such as social workers, early help key workers and family support, health visitors, and housing support officers, reports Chronicle Live.

Officials say the Household Support Fund is designed to help a wide range of low-income households in need, including families with children across all age groups, pensioners, unpaid carers, people leaving care and disabled individuals, larger families, single-person households, and those dealing with "one-off financial shocks or unforeseen events."

The Department is encouraging local councils to consider the needs of disabled individuals who are struggling to manage their conditions, maintain independence, and prevent social isolation. Some are facing high gas and electricity bills due to the energy needed for essential medical equipment, while others have increased water or transportation costs.

Councils are being "strongly encouraged" to explore ways they can support this group. They are also required to record the total amount of money awarded to disabled individuals so that the DWP can track how the funds are being used.

In a statement, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) called attention to the fact that care leavers and carers ought to be considered in implementing new support measures. It highlighted: "Care leavers can face particular barriers as they leave the care system and begin to live independently. For example, care leavers may not have access to the same familial networks as others and will not have the same financial, emotional or social support systems that enable them to live independently, respond to crisis or avoid becoming socially isolated."

Further, it stressed: "Authorities should also consider supporting people with caring responsibilities in their area. They may have additional heating, water or transport costs."

The statements reflect DWP's commitment to accommodating individuals in special circumstances.