DWP warning as your PIP payments could stop this summer

A worried woman
-Credit: (Image: Getty Images)

People who claim Personal Independence Payments (PIP) risk seeing their benefits stopped this summer if they go on holiday abroad.

There are several circumstances PIP claimants must tell the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) about or risk losing their benefit entitlement and having regular payments paused or stopped. Changing your name, doctor, health professional or address does not need to be reported to the DWP and will have no impact on your payments or your award.

However, leaving the country or planning to leave the country for more than four weeks, even for just a holiday, may affect entitlement.

READ MORE: DWP PIP Vouchers: Eligibility criteria and how to claim them

READ MORE: Heinz axes popular baked beans product due to 'culinary trends'

Guidance in the 2024 edition of the PIP Handbook on GOV.UK states: “This change may affect the claimant’s entitlement to PIP. We will need to know the date the claimant is leaving the country, how long they are planning to be out of the country, which country they are going to and why they are going abroad.”

If you’re planning on enjoying an extended holiday this summer, make sure you contact the DWP with the details they have asked for as soon as possible, and keep it in mind when booking.

How to report a change of circumstances to DWP

Contact the PIP enquiry line on 0800 121 4433 to report a change of circumstances - lines are open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here