East Lothian grandad thanks 'local heroes' after terrifying train ride health scare

Iain Maddox, 68
-Credit: (Image: Handout)

An East Lothian grandad who had a terrifying health scare on a train has thanked 'hero' staff at Newcastle Central Station who came to his aid.

Ian Maddox, 68, was travelling from London to his hometown of Dunbar when he began to feel unwell as the train approached Newcastle. Two weeks prior, Ian had a frightening episode where his throat closed-up and he blacked out.

He felt similar symptoms coming on as he travelled north with his wife Karen. After leaving the train at Newcastle, the couple realised they 'couldn't have been in better hands' when staff rushed to help.

READ MORE - Edinburgh mum and premature baby both had to be resuscitated during traumatic birth

READ MORE - Edinburgh police race to scene as woman 'attacked by dog' in broad daylight

The former soldier has used ChronicleLive to thank all those who helped during his brief, and unplanned, trip to Newcastle.

Iain said: "It was a scary experience, but they all went above and beyond. They did more than their jobs."

Iain knew things were not right as the train he was on came out of York.

"Two weeks previously my throat closed and I temporarily stopped breathing, blacked out and face planted the floor. I felt the symptoms coming on at York and knew by Newcastle I was in trouble," he explained. "I thought the last thing I want to do is black out on a train. I said to Karen we need to get off the train."

Sign up for Edinburgh Live newsletters for more headlines straight to your inbox

Stranded in a city they did not know and needing medical help the couple's panic was swiftly relieved when station staff came to their aid. And after discovering no ambulances were available, the staff helped Iain get to a taxi that would take him to the Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI).

"Firstly, LNER staff members George and Lorraine took control of the situation and gave my wife and I confidence we would be looked after," said Iain. "They got a wheelchair from somewhere and they tried to call an ambulance. They booked a taxi and paid for it.

"They got bottled water to help keep my throat from going into spasm then wheeled me to a taxi. George and Lorraine were so caring, kind and reassuring. I was trying not to panic and they helped me to do that."

After arriving at the RVI Iain was also reassured by the care he was given by Newcastle medics.

Join Edinburgh Live's Whatsapp Community here and get the latest news sent straight to your messages.

"Fortunately for me the taxi trip was short and the triage nurse recognised I was in need of help as soon as possible," he said.

"I went straight into the resuscitation section where nurse Lottie quickly got me wired up, put a cannula in, took bloods and an adrenaline injection. Lottie was so good I felt no pain when she put the cannula in or took bloods. She modestly mentioned she’d had a bit of experience," said Iain. "Doctor Rachel was able gave me a diagnosis soon after whereas I had previously been sent home from another hospital being told it was only a virus. She provided a treatment plan and hope that I can get well again.

"Lottie and Rachel were calm and focused all the time."