• Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Elon Musk says Twitter deal ‘temporarily on hold’ over spam and fake accounts

·1-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Elon Musk says he is “still committed” to his deal to buy Twitter, after revealing on Friday that the takeover is “temporarily on hold” over details around the number of spam and fake accounts present on the site.

The billionaire Tesla owner agreed a £34.5 billion deal to take over the social media giant last month, pledging to improve free speech on the site and remove fake accounts.

But in a tweet on Friday, Mr Musk said the deal is now on hold “pending details supporting calculation that spam/fake accounts do indeed represent less than 5% of users”.

Sign up for our newsletters.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting