Emergency services have rushed to a leafy market town following reports of a chemical blast at an industrial estate. Fire crews dashed to Juno Drive, in Leamington Spa, Warks., after a massive inferno broke out at a plastics business unit this morning (Fri). There have been reports of several explosions and people vomiting in the street from the effects of the blaze amid "apocalyptic scenes". Thick plumes of black smoke could also be seen billowing into the sky near to the centre of the historic market town. Residents have been warned to keep doors and windows closed while properties within 70 metres of the site were evacuated. A spokesperson for Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service tweeted: "Crews are currently in attendance at a fire at an industrial premises at Juno Drive, Leamington Spa. "Properties in the vicinity are being evacuated. If you live within 70 metres of the site, please keep windows and doors closed. "We are working closely with Warwickshire Police." A spokesperson for Warwickshire Police said: "Emergency services are currently in attendance at a fire at a premises in Juno Drive, Leamington "Road closures are currently in place. Please keep windows and doors closed. Further updated will be posted when available." Public Health England West Midlands said: "People in areas affected by smoke from the fire in Leamington Spa should stay indoors, keep doors and windows closed, and check local radio, online information and advice. "Motorists should keep windows closed, turn off air con and keep air vents closed." One witness wrote on Twitter: "Huge fire in South Leamington Spa, getting bigger by the minute. "Helicopters circling and hearing explosions now. Praying nobody is hurt." Another put: "The scenes in Leam are like something from a disaster movie. Apocalyptic stuff. I'm told its toxic fire so hopefully nobody badly hurt." A third said: "Drove past and people have their heads in their hand and being sick etc. Air ambulance just arrived. Grim." Labour MP for Warwick and Leamington Matt Western tweeted: "Massive fire on Tachbrook Ind Est. Extremely serious. "Hearing it may involve chemicals from plastics business unit. Please close windows and stay indoors. Will update as I hear more."
Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting