The presenter was found to have violated the BBC's guidelines following an on-air monologue on Dominic Cummings during her introduction to last Tuesday’s show.
But Maitlis returned to the programme on Monday, but did not mention the row and focused on the protests that have broken out across the US in response to the death of George Floyd.
In her introduction to last Tuesday's show, Maitlis said Mr Cummings had "broken the rules" when he travelled from London to Durham during lockdown.
“the country can see that, and it's shocked the Government cannot,” she added.
The BBC said the monologue "did not meet our standards of due impartiality".
Following the controversy over Mr Cummings, Maitlis did not appear as scheduled on an episode of Newsnight, saying she asked for the evening off.
The presenter, widely lauded for her interview with the Duke of York last year, said she has been "overwhelmed" by support from viewers after her monologue on Mr Cummings.
The 49-year-old broadcaster tweeted: "Been overwhelmed by all the kindness, messages - and support on here - and I've probably missed much of it.
"A big thank you from us all at Newsnight."