Everything we know after one week of Pitsea Madison Wright murder probe

·2-min read
Everything we know after one week of Pitsea Madison Wright murder probe
Everything we know after one week of Pitsea Madison Wright murder probe

It's now been a week since Essex Police launched a murder probe in the disappearance of Madison Wright from Pitsea.

Last Friday the force announced the murder investigation into the disappearance of the 30 year old mother and a man being arrested on suspicion of murder. She has not been seen since July 22.

Then Wat Tyler Park and Pitsea Tip were closed off as officers carried out an investigation. On Saturday the force announced a body had been found but insisted formal identification has not yet taken place.

On Monday, Gary Bennett, 36, of Caister Drive, Pitsea sat crying in the dock in Southend Magistrates Court as he was told he’s charged with murder.

He’s charged with murdering Madison Wright, 30, from Pitsea who went missing on July 22.

The defendant who has a shaved head appeared wearing a grey jumper and spoke only to confirm his name and reached for a tissue in the dock as he kept crying.

Then later in the week he appeared in Basildon Crown Court via a video link from prison.

The hearing in front of Judge Samantha Leigh was told he will appear back in court next month for pleas and a provision date for a possible trial was set for March 13.

The hearing was also told that the custody limit for Mr Bennett ends in January.

Speaking to the defendant Judge Samantha Leigh said: "Mr Bennett you will be back in court for pleas on September 23. The case stays with me for case management."

Thousands of pounds have been raised by the community in a bid to support the family of a missing mum after a body was found in a Pitsea park.

In just 24 hours, 83 separate donations have been made to a GoFundMe page set up for the family of Madison Wright, 30, raising more than £6,000.

On Thursday it was announced that Wat Tyler Park had re-opened as part of the investigation into the disappearance of a mum.

A force spokesman said: “Formal identification is yet to be confirmed but Madison’s family are receiving appropriate support.

“We would like to remind the public who may be visiting the park over the coming week to respect the cordons we have in place.

“Essex Police has extensively resourced the investigation into 30-year-old Madison’s disappearance and efforts continue to find out what happened to her. Anyone with any information, who we have not yet spoken to is encouraged to contact us.

“A dedicated phone line has been set up and the number is: 020 7126 7612. “We have also set up a special portal through which information can be reported: https://mipp.police.uk/ operation/4201020122Q20-PO.”

To donate visit bit.ly/3OVsc3o.