Advertisement

Family pay tribute to man killed in Bishop Auckland as five charged with murder

Lee Clarkson, inset, died outside of his home on West Lane in Bishop Auckland last Wednesday (November 29). <i>(Image: SARAH CALDECOTT & DURHAM CONSTABULARY)</i>
Lee Clarkson, inset, died outside of his home on West Lane in Bishop Auckland last Wednesday (November 29). (Image: SARAH CALDECOTT & DURHAM CONSTABULARY)

The devastated family of a man killed outside his own home in Bishop Auckland last week have spoken of their heartbreak.

Lee Clarkson has been named as the 41-year-old who died outside the property on West Lane at about 6.30pm on Wednesday last week (November 29).

A postmortem examination has since revealed he died of stab wounds with five people now charged with murder.

The Northern Echo: A cordon was erected at the scene following the incident.
The Northern Echo: A cordon was erected at the scene following the incident.

A cordon was erected at the scene following the incident. (Image: SARAH CALDECOTT)

In a statement Lee’s family said: “Lee was a much-loved father, son, and brother.

“The whole family is absolutely devastated at the loss of Lee and his death has left an enormous hole in our lives.”

The Northern Echo: Lee Clarkson.
The Northern Echo: Lee Clarkson.

Lee Clarkson. (Image: DURHAM CONSTABULARY)

Despite the efforts of medics Lee died at the scene.

Police and crime scene investigators descended on the scene and four people - three men, aged 52, 44, and 42, and a 42-year-old woman - appeared in court charged with Lee’s murder on Monday.

They were all remanded in custody and will appear at Teesside Crown Court on Wednesday.

A 16-year-old boy has now also been charged with murder and will appear before Newton Aycliffe Magistrates Court this morning.

The Northern Echo: Crime scene investigators at the scene.
The Northern Echo: Crime scene investigators at the scene.

Crime scene investigators at the scene. (Image: TERRY BLACKBURN)

Detectives have said there is no risk to the wider public.

A Durham Police spokesperson said: “Enquiries into the incident remain ongoing and residents may see an increased police presence in the area.

“We would like to reassure residents that there is no wider risk to the public.

“Any witnesses who have yet to speak to officers are asked to call Durham Constabulary on 101, quoting incident number 351 of November 29.”


Recommended reading:

Get more from The Northern Echo with a Premium Plus digital subscription from as little as only £1.50 a week. Click here.


Homeowners in the West Lane area previously spoke of their shock after the incident.

One resident, who did not want to be named, said: “There were so many police cars here last night.

“People are saying that there were men fighting with knives on the green. You hear about it but it’s horrible to happen so close.”