Family of woman hit, allegedly killed by cop car in line for $3.25 million in proposed settlement

The family of a woman who died three years after she was struck by a Chicago police officer’s SUV and severely injured could get $3.25 million in a settlement with the city.

The traumatic brain injury Martina Standley, 35, suffered when police Officer Brian Greene ran his car into her in a November 2019 crash ultimately caused her death, according to a lawsuit filed by Standley’s family.

Aldermen will take a first vote Wednesday on the deal and three more settlements totaling another $1 million proposed by the city’s Law Department. The settlements recommended by the Committee on Finance could then be voted on by the full City Council as early as Thursday.

Body camera footage of the South Shore crash shows Standley approach Greene’s stopped police SUV. In a 10-second interaction, she touches the hood and folds its passenger side mirror. She was having a mental health crisis at the time, the lawsuit says.

Suddenly, Greene maneuvers the steering wheel and accelerates the car into Standley, who is knocked to the ground and disappears from sight. The officer downplays the crash as he gets out of the car and sees her on the ground, the video shows.

“Girl, ain’t nobody hit you like that,” he says.

But then he sees her bleeding from the head, motionless, according to his body-worn camera footage. Her right leg appears trapped under the front passenger tire.

He later tells another officer he had been trying to put the car in reverse.

Witnesses described the sound of Standley’s skull slamming into the ground “as being as loud as a gunshot,” according to her family’s lawsuit.

Standley was hospitalized and diagnosed with a severe traumatic brain injury. She died in her sleep in September 2022, a death her primary brain injury physician testified in June was caused by the crash.

Days after Standley died, her younger brother, Misterrico Standley, recalled the karaoke party they held for her 35th birthday, which came five days before her unexpected death.

“She liked to sing and rap,” he said. “She was full of life, full of joy.”

Before the city’s Department of Law recommended the multimillion dollar settlement, city attorneys were preparing to argue her death was caused by an overdose of anti-anxiety medication. Standley’s lawsuit listed anxiety and depression among many of the painful cognitive, physical and behavioral changes she suffered after the crash.

Greene remains on active duty at the Police Department, according to a CPD spokesperson.

In one of the three additional proposed settlements, aldermen will determine if a Kane County woman should get $400,000 because of another police crash.

Aisha Hurston was a part of a June 2017 protest outside the Loop’s Radisson Blu Hotel when Sgt. Darren Easterday ran over her foot while riding a motorized segway, Hurston’s court filings allege.

A crushed foot has left Hurston with pain expected to last a lifetime and required treatments such as occupational therapy, injections and a spinal cord stimulator implantation surgery, according to her lawsuit.

In yet another police crash-related settlement, Englewood resident Tony Pearson could receive $425,000. Pearson’s car was hit and he suffered severe injuries after police Officer Michael McInerney slammed into the car of another man who had sped off when the officer tried to make a traffic stop. McInerney’s intentional crash caused the suspect’s car to slam into Pearson’s, according to a lawsuit.

City attorneys recommended another man, Kevin Lusk, receive $195,000 to cover car damage and injuries when a city employee struck his car in a 2018 Portage Park crash.