Famous city centre pub's future confirmed as it will return 'with a bang'

The Monro will reopen in July
-Credit: (Image: Liverpool Echo)


People have shared their excitement after it was confirmed The Monro will soon reopen its doors.

The famous pub and restaurant, once famed for its Sunday roast, has been closed since October last year. However, the Duke Street venue will return this summer after it was acquired by the 1936 Pub Company.

The 1936 Pub Company is behind the renovations of city centre pubs including The Vines, The White Hart, The Red Lion and The Queen of Hope Street. The new Monro will join the collection when it reopens its doors in July as a statement shared on Instagram said it will be "returning with a bang".

READ MORE: Legendary venue was 'distinct from everything else' and changed Liverpool's nightlife

READ NEXT: 'We're walking in our parents' footsteps and keeping it going'

The statement added: "We think you’ll like what we do with the old place."

The history of the famous Monro building dates back to 1750 and people took to the comments after the pub's future was confirmed. Joseph said: "This is genuinely incredible news, amazing venue in safe hands!"

Lucy added: "Been saying for ages someone needs to rescue this! It’s in safe hands now!" Tracey commented: "Great news."

The Monro is said to have started off as a beer, wine and spirit merchant, selling and delivering ales to the fine houses in the local area. The pub itself, once known as The Monro Tavern, is named after the first scheduled passenger service to run from Liverpool to New York, The James Monro.

First listed in March 1975, The Monro is Grade II and became renowned as one of the city's most famous pubs. By 2003, the site saw a major change as it was turned into a gastropub.

Over 20 years ago, the owner restored and refurbished the site and recreated some of the architectural detail that had been lost through the years. In October 2022, former owner Will Lyons made the decision to move away from its usual gastropub grub, instead offering Greek food and an extensive cocktail menu.

Mr Lyons issued a statement 12 months later to confirm the venue was closing as it was announced: "After 20 wonderful years at The Monro, it is with great sadness we announce that we have been forced to close.

"Despite our best efforts to keep the doors open until Christmas, the situation is beyond our control. As such, we must leave the premises by Friday, October 13th. Our wish was to honour the bookings our loyal customers have made and go out in style at the end of the year. Sadly, in business, wishes don't always come true.

"We know many of you have bookings for the coming days, weeks and months and have paid deposits. We will contact customers about your reservation as soon as possible.

"As you can imagine, this news has been a massive shock to all of us, our families and loved ones. All of whom are now without jobs in the lead-up to Christmas. It's a shame to end on this note, but here we are. We are grateful for your support and loyalty over the years. It's people like you that made it all worthwhile."

The venue's transformation is being charted on Instagram.

Don't miss the biggest and breaking stories by signing up to the Echo Daily newsletter here

Win the ultimate CBeebies experience at Alton Towers Resort, including an overnight-themed sleepover!