Fantasy Baseball analyst Fred Zinkie takes a look at the Monday MLB slate and offers up his top waiver wire add of the day along with some DFS picks and much more.
Pickup of the Day
Ramon Laureano (Outfielder, Oakland A’s, 37 percent rostered)
This is the time to add Laureano, who returned from suspension yesterday. The outfielder was a major fantasy asset last season prior to his suspension, producing 14 homers and 12 steals in 88 games. And in his only full MLB season (2019), Laureano tallied 24 long balls and 13 swipes. The lifetime .263 hitter may not reach his ceiling in this offensively depressed environment, but he also shouldn’t hurt your batting average. And although the A’s lineup is among the weakest in baseball, there are plenty of opportunities for Laureano to hit out of a premium spot and maximize his plate appearances.
DFS Plays of the Day
Ty France (1B, Seattle Mariners, $17)
France is off to a solid start this season, hitting .319 with an .859 OPS. He should feast on Phillies southpaw Ranger Suarez, who this season has struggled mightily against right-handed hitters such as France, allowing them to post a .948 OPS (.269 OPS allowed to lefty batters). Later in the game, France should thrive against a Philadelphia bullpen that ranks 26th in baseball with a 4.43 ERA. And the Phillies are terrible fielders, which will only help this contact hitter.
Carlos Rodon (SP, San Francisco Giants, $55)
This is a great night to pay the premium price for an elite starter. Rodon has been absolutely dominant this year, posting a 1.55 ERA, a 0.83 WHIP and 41 strikeouts across 29 innings. The left-hander should thrive against a Rockies lineup that has been predictably good at home (.802 OPS) and ineffective on the road (.643 OPS).
· Frank Schwindel (1B, Chicago Cubs) was optioned and can be dropped in all mixed leagues. Alfonso Rivas is the team’s new first baseman and can be monitored in 12-team leagues.
· Zack Wheeler, Zach Eflin and Marcus Stroman all landed on the COVID-19 injured list.
· Yoan Moncada (2B, Chicago White Sox) will come off the IL and bat second in the lineup today. He should be activated in 12-team leagues, but I would wait in 10-team formats.
· Pete Alonso (1B, New York Mets) homered twice on Sunday and now has seven long balls this season.
· Manuel Margot (OF, Tampa Bay Rays) homered for the third straight day on Sunday. He also has two steals in his past four games. If you’re looking for a red-hot player, Margot is your guy.
· Emilio Pagan (RP, Minnesota Twins) picked up a save on Sunday and continues to share the closer’s role with Jhoan Duran.
· Scott Barlow (RP, Kansas City Royals) earned his second save on the season yesterday. He remains the Royals reliever who you should roster.