Farmer who dumped five tonnes of MUCK outside a court in legal row has been evicted

A farmer who dumped five tonnes of manure outside a court building during a row with a law firm has been evicted from his home.

Charles Hirons, 49, was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage in January after dumping the muck outside Derby Crown Court.

His dramatic protest was part of an ongoing legal battle following the closure of law firm Walter Scott & Ross in 2009, leaving Mr Hirons – who is well known in British Eventing – hundreds of thousands of pounds out of pocket.

And after reportedly being left struggling to meet his mortgage payments, on Friday Mr Hirons was greeted by bailiffs and police looking to evict him from the £410,000 country house where he lives with his wife.

He agreed to leave the property peacefully but has been left with no place to stay and nowhere for his collection of animals including seven dogs, three horses and dozens of cows.

Evicted – Charles Hirons has now been evicted from his home in Derbyshire (Pictures: SWNS)

As well as five tonnes of manure, Mr Hirons left a Massey Ferguson tractor at the scene with a printed cardboard sign that read: “What a shame!!!

“What a shame to have to resort to this, today is a personal protest against the severely flawed judicial system that has consitantly (sic) failed to listen to simple truth & reason. Sorry for any inconvenience caused (to the general public).”

MORE: Metal detectorist makes find of his life after discovering Viking coin worth £15,000
MORE: ‘Walter Mitty’ pilot spared jail after flying planes illegally without a licence

Mr Hirons had used Walter Scott & Ross to represent him in the disputed division of a family estate.

But the Derbyshire firm was shut by the Solicitors Regulation Authority after a probe into “serious financial irregularities”, leaving more than 60 clients in limbo, including many who had employed it to draw up house deeds and trust funds.

Homeless – Mr Hirons and his wife now have nowhere to live

Mr Hirons called for a legal inquiry into the law firm, but the SRA claimed its intervention had concluded in 2010.

Speaking at the time, he said: “When the intervention took place in 2009, I was in the middle of a heavyweight court case at the High Court in London and 31 boxes of my paperwork disappeared for three months.

“I want to apologise to anybody who was inconvenienced by what I did. I said I would pay for the cost of what I did and I will stand by that.

“I’ve been through such a difficult time and this was a chance to show what I thought of the legal and justice system.”

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes