President Trump’s decision to fire FBI Director James Comey has proved controversial, with critics on both sides of the aisle questioning the motive and timing, speculating that it may have been done to impede the ongoing investigation into the Trump campaign’s possible collusion with Russia during the election.
But the president seems to think he’s found an unlikely ally in one of his most high-profile foes from his celebrity past — Rosie O’Donnell.
In December, O’Donnell tweeted, “Fire Comey.” More than four months later, on Thursday, Trump inexplicably retweeted her message, adding, “We finally agree on something Rosie.”
We finally agree on something Rosie. https://t.co/BSP5F3PgbZ
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 11, 2017
Chances are the president did not see an earlier tweet of O’Donnell’s criticizing his dismissal of the FBI chief, which she tagged with #uSTUPIDcreature and #dumblittleman.
— ROSIE (@Rosie) May 11, 2017
Although Trump’s tweet was widely mocked and generally seen as a rare instance of good-natured ribbing, O’Donnell clearly interpreted it to be more sinister. She told MSNBC, “It’s a clear indication of his seriously declining mental health. This is no joke.”
The leader of the free world has maintained a long-standing feud with O’Donnell, a comedian, actress and television personality. In 2006, O’Donnell ripped Trump for excluding a Miss USA contestant who admitted to using drugs and alcohol.
“He’s the moral authority,” O’Donnell mocked. “Left the first wife, had an affair; left the second wife, had an affair; had kids both times, but he’s the moral compass for 20-year-olds in America.”
Trump fired back with one of his favorite put-downs, branding O’Donnell a “loser.”
He also memorably invoked her at an August 2015 Republican primary debate. Moderator Megyn Kelly’s first question to Trump pressed him on his treatment of women.
“You’ve called women you don’t like ‘fat pigs,’ ‘dogs,’ ‘slobs’ and ‘disgusting animals,’” Kelly said.
“Only Rosie O’Donnell,” Trump lobbed back.
Read more from Yahoo News:
- Trump stuns with abrupt dismissal of FBI Director Comey
- Timing of FBI Director James Comey’s firing raises the question: Why now?
- Kellyanne Conway spars with Anderson Cooper over Trump’s firing of Comey
- Toobin tears into Trump’s firing of Comey: ‘A grotesque abuse of power’
- Commentators mostly agree: Firing Comey was positively Nixonian
- Democrats appeal to Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein to appoint special prosecutor
- Reactions to Trump’s firing of Comey
- Photos: A mother, a son and a bunch of silly chicks