Firefighters find room 'well alight' in 1.30am Stoke-on-Trent hotel blaze

Firefighters found a room 'well alight' after being called to a city hotel. One man was treated by paramedics following the early morning blaze at Longton's Crown Hotel.

It is the latest incident at the King Street venue which has required emergency services. StokeonTrentLive reported last year how homeless people had been forced to flee The Roebuck, an annex of the hotel, after an arson attack.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service are treating the latest blaze as 'accidental'. The alarm was raised at around 1.30am on June 2.

READ: Grieving family demand justice as Daniel, 41, dies in alley | They have slammed the Staffordshire Police investigation into the death of Daniel Austin, from Weston Coyney

READ: Driver in Royal Stoke after 1.15am crash | Staffordshire Police and West Midlands Ambulance Service were called to the crash on Baddeley Green Lane, in Baddeley Green

A fire service spokesman said: "Crews got a call to King Street and found a room well-alight. The fire was extinguished. A man was treated at the scene by paramedics for smoke inhalation and did not require further treatment. Following an inspection, the cause of the fire was later deemed accidental."

A spokeswoman for West Midlands Ambulance Service said: "We were called to reports of a fire at a building on King Street. An ambulance and a paramedic officer were sent to the scene where, on arrival, crews found one patient requiring assessment. The patient, a man, was treated for potential smoke inhalation but did not wish to go to hospital and so was given self-care advice and discharged at the scene."

Sign up to our main daily newsletter here and get all the latest news straight to your inbox for FREE