A curious canine found himself in a bit of a jam after getting his head caught in a wheel.
Eight-month-old coonhound Blaze had to be rescued by firefighters in Montana after he got well and truly trapped in the wheel.
The puppy’s owner had left him in his yard for a few hours and come home to find him stuck in the precarious position.
He had taken Blaze to nearby St. Frances Veterinary Hospital who called firefighters from Butte-Silver Bow Fire Department to carry out the careful extrication.
According to post on the fire department’s Facebook page, firefighters used “a lot of coconut oil, patience, a lot of ear tucking, and some powerful skin-pulling” to free Blaze.
Blaze was left uninjured by his ordeal, although he had a bit of neck swelling, according to the post.
It added: “Blaze remained calm, cool, and collected throughout the ordeal; he did not make a sound.”
“Incident Commander Battalion Chief Bill Fisher was in charge of the entire operation; Fire Marshal Doherty completed the daunting task of ear tucking; and Firefighter Osborne, the only true hero, utilized his brute strength to free Blaze.
“Hopefully this was a valuable lesson for young Blaze, and we won’t have to respond to any more menacing incidents involving this playful puppy.”
In a later post, the department added: “There are no words to describe the response we have had to our story about the rescue of Blaze, the sweet little coonhound. We would like to thank everyone for your comments and for sharing this story.
“We were quite amazed by all the messages, calls, and emails that we received the last couple of days from all over the country.”