Firefighters Warn Against Dangerous Viral Heating Hack

Firefighters warned people of the dangers of a viral social media trend to create a “homemade heater” after an apartment fire in Derby, England, on Wednesday, November 30.

Fire crews responded to an apartment fire caused by “the failure of a homemade heater, which used tea lights to heat up terracotta pots,” the Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service said.

The “hack” was seen in videos circulating online with some TikTok videos of the “DIY heater trend” garnering more than one million views.

The Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service issued a warning on the “viral social media trend,” sharing photos of the homemade heater that caused the Derby fire. They said, “On this occasion, the heat released from the base of the tea lights was enough to weaken the terracotta plates they were placed on, causing the homemade device to collapse and the melted wax to ignite."

The UK parliament reported that “energy prices increased rapidly from the second half of 2021.” Officials said that “these hacks may look like a good way to save money on heating bills, but they are very dangerous and we would urge people not to follow the videos posted online.” Credit: Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service via Storyful

Video transcript

[NO AUDIO]