Florida Deputy Helps Woman Deliver Baby on Highway Shoulder
A deputy in Hillsborough County, Florida, helped a woman deliver a baby girl on a highway shoulder near Plant City over the weekend, footage released on Tuesday, May 2, shows.
Bodycam footage posted by the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office shows the woman lying inside a vehicle parked along Highway 60 on April 30, while the deputy, identified as Master Deputy Daniel Jones, provides support to her.
Within minutes, a healthy baby girl was born, according to the post. “Look at your pretty little girl!” the deputy exclaims in the footage.
Commenting on the incident, Sheriff Chad Chronister said he was “extremely proud” of the deputy’s actions.
“This is his third time assisting a citizen with delivering a baby! While delivering in the front seat of a car was not the original birth plan, Deputy Jones reassured the mother of six that she was in good hands. I wish mom, dad, and their new baby girl all the joy and happiness,” he added.
Both mother and child were transported to a nearby hospital for further evaluation and care, according to the statement. Credit: Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office via Storyful
- How far along are you pregnant?
- She's nine.
- She's full, she's ready to go, huh. She's ready to go. OK, all right, look at me. Look at me. Breathe through, all right, mama? Breathe through, OK? You had your water broke?
- You have to let me know if the baby's coming, OK?
- Is this your first?
- This your first baby? No? How many?
- This the sixth.
- Six? Phew, y'all need a better hobby, OK!
All right, just keep breathing, OK. I'm not going to move you. I'm not going to do nothing, because you feel like-- you look like you're comfortable right now, OK? I know it hurts, but you've been through this before, OK. Keep breathing through it.
- Oh. I know. I know.
[INDISTINCT RADIO CHATTER]
I don't want to move her. I don't want to move her. No, I don't want to move her. The only thing I'm going to move her is straight to the gurney, and go into the ambulance, OK? All right, I'm afraid if I change the position on her, the baby's going to come, OK. So I don't want to move her.
- You're fine, mama. All right, you're fine.
- I know, I know.
- I'm not--
- Don't push. Don't push, don't push. Don't push. Don't push.
- She's coming. She's pushing.
- I know she's pushing. I know she's pushing.
- She's pushing.
- Get the N-52.
- (CRIES OUT)
She's coming. I--
- She's coming. She's coming, she's coming. Gonna have to take her to the back.
- There we go, I got a baby. Don't pull, don't pull. I got her.
- There you go, mama! I told you I didn't want to deliver a baby, I got a baby!
- Oh, pretty little girl. There-- hey! Oh, yeah, that's a beautiful sound. That's a beautiful sound, mama. That's a beautiful sound. I'm fixing to-- look at it, look at your baby! Look at your pretty little girl!