Former Canadian Afghan hostage faces assault charges: lawyer

FILE PHOTO: Joshua Boyle speaks to the media after arriving with his wife and three children at Toronto Pearson International Airport, nearly 5 years after he and his wife were abducted in Afghanistan in 2012 by the Taliban-allied Haqqani network, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, October 13, 2017. REUTERS/Mark Blinch/File Photo

Thomson Reuters

OTTAWA (Reuters) - A Canadian man freed in 2017 nearly five years after being abducted in Afghanistan has been arrested in Ottawa and faces several charges, including assault and forcible confinement, his lawyer said on Tuesday.

Joshua Boyle, his wife and three children arrived back in Canada last October. At the time he said one of his children had been murdered and spouse was raped after their capture by the Taliban-allied Haqqani network.

Police have laid 15 charges against Boyle, including eight counts of assault and two counts of sexual assault. A publication ban has been imposed, preventing the alleged victims from being identified.

"Mr. Boyle is presumed innocent. He's never been in trouble before ... We look forward to receiving the evidence and defending him against these charges," Boyle's lawyer, Eric Granger, said in an email.


(Reporting by David Ljunggren; Editing by Tom Brown)

See Also:

By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes