The Cesar Awards, France's version of the Oscars, said Monday that anyone being investigated for allegations of sexual misconduct would be barred from its ceremony next month.
There were fears of protests at the event on February 25 over the latest #MeToo furore involving newcomer Sofiane Bennacer, who is being investigated by police on two allegations of rape and one of violence against a partner.
Bennacer, 25, who denies any wrongdoing, had been seen as an awards frontrunner for his part in "Les Amandiers" (titled "Forever Young" abroad) about a sexually promiscuous group of drama students in the 1980s.
It also follows protests at the 2020 ceremony when Roman Polanski, convicted of raping a child in the 1970s, won best director -- which triggered a major reorganisation of the Cesar Academy.
In a statement, the Academy said anyone facing a potential prison sentence for "violence, notably of (a) sexual or sexist nature" would be excluded from the coming ceremony.
"It has been decided not to highlight people who may have been put in question by the judiciary for acts of violence," it said, adding that the step was being taken "out of respect for the victims", even if they were only "presumed" victims.
Bennacer was dropped from the longlist of possible nominees in November after fresh allegations surfaced in the media.
The director of "Les Amandiers", Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi (also said to be Bennacer's girlfriend), denounced "a media lynching".
Read more on FRANCE 24 English
Film show: Charlotte Le Bon's début feature takes us to the ghostly 'Falcon Lake'
Film show: Valeria Bruni-Tedeschi's 'Forever Young' overshadowed by rape accusations
Film show: Timothée Chalamet serves up blood, guts and romance in 'Bones and All'