We Are FSTVL: Horrifying footage shows revellers scream as they rush into crowded London event after queuing for three hours to get in

Bonnie Christian
1 / 2
We Are FSTVL: Horrifying footage shows revellers scream as they rush into crowded London event after queuing for three hours to get in

This is the horrifying moment screaming festival-goers swarmed through security gates after queueing for hours in hot weather for a London music festival.

Video shows barriers being trampled as huge crowds rushed through the entrance of We Are FSTVL in Upminster.

Witnesses told the Standard revellers were "collapsing" and "being sick" as they waited more than three hours to be let into the event on Saturday.

The two-day festival's Saturday line-up included Chase and Status, Bugzy Malone and CamelPhat.

In a statement a spokeswoman for the festival said organisers "sincerely apologised" for longer waiting times and for anyone affected by the issue at the gate.

Mike Williamson said he queued for around three and a half hours before people “stormed past security”.

“It was terrible, so crammed with thousands of people, people pushing in the queues, people fighting in the queues and because of the heat people were fainting and being sick,” he said.

“There was very little security around to help when this happened as well and barely any water was getting passed around.

“So people in the queues ended up having to share.”

Mr Williamson posted a video of people rushing past security, alongside the caption: “Oh @wearefstvl we absolutely love to see it. My first and last mate lol.”

He said he missed one band he had bought a ticket to see and missed half of another act, adding that he will be complaining to the festival organisers and seeking a refund.

He added that the queues appeared to be because there were not enough staff to handle the crowds.

One woman told the BBC the door staff had run out of wristbands, causing a backlog of people.

"They'd run out of wristbands at the door so they didn't have drink token wristbands when they were letting people through,” she said.

"They weren't handing out water so everyone in the queue for three hours didn't have a drink.”

Another told the the broadcaster people passed out from the heat.

"We were in the queue, four people had collapsed around us, people were throwing up and shouting for medics, all the staff were doing was throwing water bottles into the crowd of people," Renardo Henry, 21, said.

One person posted a video of huge crowds waiting to be let in alongside the caption: “260mins In ... people being carried out by medics due to dehydration.”

Another posted a video of people rushing security.

“We didn’t even get in, spent 3 hours trying and then a riot happened,” they wrote.

Another called the situation a “total joke”.

“Been waiting over 2.5 hours to get in. I’ve seen girls get trampled over because security can’t control the crowds. Never again,” they said.

In a statement, the organisers said: "Due to unforeseen technical difficulties at the wristband exchange, customers had experienced longer waiting times and for that we apologise. Security were able to overcome these issues and barriers were quickly reinstated.

"Five customers sustained minor injuries and all were treated on site before rejoining the festival.

"The situation was quickly resolved and measures including providing additional queueing lanes and dedicated water distributers have been taken to change the process on site today for the benefit of all festival goers.

"Our sincere apologies for anyone that was affected by the issue at the gate. Our event planning is done in accordance to the highest standards, working with The Met Police, London Ambulance Service and London Borough of Havering and the London Fire Brigade. We take the security of our audience very seriously, and constantly review our processes to ensure a safe festival environment."

The Metropolitan Police said they were at the location alongside the organisers and the London Ambulance Service.

They added they were not aware of any serious injuries.