Samsung has just rolled out its latest Jelly Bean firmware, Android 4.3 XXUEML3, for Galaxy Note 2 (LTE) N7105. This is the same firmware which was earlier ported to Note 2's international variant, the N7100. The new firmware is available for download as Over-The-Air (OTA) update as well as via Samsung KIES.
Those who missed the OTA update notification or cannot access the update via KIES for some reason can follow our step-by-step guide to install the same manually. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Install USB Drivers for Galaxy Note 2 N7105 on computer
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone by going to Settings >> Developer Options.
- Back up all your important data and settings before you proceed.
- Galaxy Note 2 should be factory unlocked and not locked to any particular carrier.
- Verify that the phone has at least 80% battery charge
- The Android 4.3 XXUEML3 official firmware works only with the LTE version of Galaxy Note 2 (GT-N7105). Flashing this to any incorrect variant might brick the device. Verify the model number of the device by navigating to Settings >> About Phone.
Steps to Update Galaxy Note 2 (LTE) N7105 with Android 4.3 XXUEML3 Jelly Bean Firmware
Step 1: Extract the firmware zip file using winrar, 7zip or winzip to obtain a .tar.md5 file and some other files.
Step 2: Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
Step 3: Power off the Galaxy Note 2.
Step 4: Boot the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon with a warning triangle appears on screen. Now tap Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
Step 5: Run Odin on computer as an Administrator.
Step 6: Connect Galaxy Note 2 to computer with USB cable while the phone is still in Download Mode. Wait until Odin detects the device and then the ID: COM box turns light blue with the COM port number. At this moment, a message saying the device was successfully added appears on screen.
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try re-installing USB drivers or changing the port on computer.
Step 7: Select the following files in Odin from extracted N7105XXUEML3 firmware folder:
- Click the PDA button and select .tar.md5 file.
- Click the Phone button and select file with MODEM in its name. Ignore if there is no such file.
- Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name. Ignore if such file is absent.
- Click the PIT button and select the .pit file. Ignore such file is missing.
Step 8: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. But, the Re-Partition checkbox should be checked only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step.
Step 9: Verify everything suggested in Step 7 and Step 8 is done correctly. Then hit Start button to begin the installation process.
Step 10: Once the installation process completes, your phone will restart and soon a PASS message with green background appears at the top-left-most box in Odin. You can now remove the USB cable to disconnect the phone from computer.
Galaxy Note 2 (LTE) N7105 should now be updated with official Android 4.3 XXUEML3 Jelly Bean. Go to Settings >> About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
If Galaxy Note 2 (LTE) is stuck at boot animation or boot loops after Step 10 then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition task before selecting reboot system now function. NOTE: In recovery mode use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select the desired option. Please note that performing wiping task will erase your device's internal memory data and not external SD card data.
[Source: Honai of Android]